closing apps when all windows are closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slug420, Jan 21, 2008.

1. slug420 macrumors regular

is there a way, either globally or on an individual basis, to close an application automatically when all of that application's windows are closed? So like if I have 3 terminal windows open and close them all it would then quit the terminal application? Or maybe if i have 4 videos playing in quicktime....when I close those 4 videos there is no reason I need to still be using system resources (however few) and running the quicktime application right?

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

im new to mac also but when you running 4 video say

just click cmd + q qill quit all quickime videos plus the program i hopes this helps :)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

for multi windowed apps use command-Q or right click on its dock icon and select quit.

for single windowed apps you only have to click the X to close the app e.g. iPhoto, System Preferences, Disk Utility, Dictionary...

the single windowed apps quit when your click the X as there is no way of opening a second window while in that app.

not quitting the app when clicking the X is very useful in for example Safari where you can close all the browser windows and have the download window still open, closing a document in Pages without quitting and keeping it open ready for another document.

this method of window management is far superior to windows as it allows your applications to still be open for future use without any window clutter. to do this in windows you have to minimise to the taskbar and this gets cluttered very quickly.

many apps have tried to use this method like AVs and utorrent in windows by using the notification bar when closing a window.

theres also hide (command-H) and hide all (command-option-H) which is very useful in window arrangement.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can press command-tab and cycle through the apps, pressing q on the ones you want to quit.

5. Mernak macrumors 6502

Thanks, I never knew that. It is much more efficient than selecting each dock icon (plus it looks cooler).