Closing Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daveathall, Aug 29, 2010.

1. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Is there any need to fully close apps after use? What I mean is if one double clicks the home button, then keeps ones finger on one of the open apps and then close each by pressing on the red circle with the white bar does it make any difference to the battery, does it speed up the phone when only the app in use is open? Or am I just closing these apps needlessly.

A picture paints a thousand words.

[​IMG]

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think closing the apps is not needed. I have never ran into any problems, and it does not seem to effect the battery life I receive.

3. dannyphone macrumors newbie

when i tried closing the programs, my iphone freezed/hang...!@#$
    so nowsday i tend not to close it ...

4. Resist macrumors 68030

Help me understand the point of all this. I mean, you will eventually open all the apps on your iPhone. So at some point does that mean that all your apps are running in the background?

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Background != running.

Certain apps have functions that mean they will run in the background for a MAXIMUM of 10 minutes. And there are the background music players and GPS apps. But that's it.

You do not have to worry about closing apps.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

But how many apps can be running in the background at the same time and for how long? I'm sure for instance, a radio app will run in the background for longer than 10 minutes.

7. Hemmo macrumors regular

8. dyn macrumors 68030

It is actually more a list of recently used apps. There still are some apps that do not support iOS 4 properly which can lead to some problems using the multitasking features. I've got one app that I need to close in the app switcher because if I don't it won't start looking for my current location (it will use the previous one). Simply adding a refresh button/function would resolve that problem easily but it would be better if the developer updates his app to fully support the multitasking features in iOS 4. There can be other problems with apps. Sometimes you simply have to close the app in the app switcher to get it to work properly again. Most apps work just fine so there isn't much need for closing the apps in the app switcher (only when you have problems).