Closing apps?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mikepepe86, Jun 1, 2015.

1. mikepepe86 macrumors regular

I finally received my watch today (42mm Space Gray!) really liking it after a half day of use! Very slick, still learning some of the UI but I did I have one question. This may seem silly but I'm so used to keeping up with closing apps on my iPhone that I feel like I should be doing the same on the watch. I'm guessing I'm incorrect since I can't find any literature on that being necessary. I'm used to closing an app to save battery on my iPhone.

2. CellXor10 macrumors regular

I had a similar feeling right after I got my Watch as well, but after not finding anything about it, I figured it must not work the same way- which kind of makes sense the way apps work on the Watch/pulling info from your iPhone. It took no time until I had forgotten the urge I had to do something like this.

3. Phil Holland macrumors regular

closing apps on the iPhone causes an increase in battery usage.

http://designatednerd.com/force-qui...-ios-apps-to-save-battery-life-is-total-bunk/

Unless you have a problem app don't force quit apps.

Same with the watch.

To force quit a watch app press an hold the power button (while app is open)
    When screen that gives option to turn off phone appears release and press and hold power button again.

This will force quit the app.

4. Ollivander22 macrumors newbie

When you are in the app hold the power button until the selection to power off pops up. Then click the power button again and the app will close.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't think closing the apps will have much if any effect on the battery life. But I feel you. At first I also felt like I should be closing apps because I do it so much on my phone. The watch clearly isn't meant to have apps closed so I don't do it often. The way you do it is hold the side button until you get the menu sliders thing then hold it again.

6. Phil Holland macrumors regular

FYI...closing your apps on the iPhone increases battery usage.

7. mikepepe86 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! It does make sense even after using it just today that I won't need to keep after closing of apps. However I disagree with the sentiment that closing apps on my phone depletes battery life. I've never experienced that. I always have plenty of battery left during days and I find if I keep apps opened (especially Maps, Messages and a location based 3rd party) that my phone dies much quicker.

In any case I'm really looking forward to seeing how the battery on my iPhone 6 and my Apple Watch level out over the next week or so while I settle into normal usage on both.

8. Phil Holland macrumors regular

9. mikepepe86 thread starter macrumors regular

I have to say I really had no idea. So keeping open most used apps will actually save battery life? I've been using iPhones since Gen 1 and genuinely didn't know that. Thank you for the info.

While we're on the topic of battery. My Apple Watch is already charged to 100% is it ok to leave on the charger over night anyway? I'm assuming it's like the battery on the phones where it trickle charges and doesn't continually charge an already top offed battery?

10. Phil Holland macrumors regular

11. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Yep, since I said above that I was pretty much a habitual app closer- I've known this for quite some time. I've never done it truly as a battery saver, as I've never had battery drainage issues on my iPhones. But, also, I've tested out forcing myself not to close apps and haven't noticed any real difference. Not that I don't believe it's true that it takes more power shutting down and then rebooting apps constantly than just letting them pretty much occupy RAM, just that for my usages the difference is so negligible that the OCD satisfaction I get from closing the app is worth the mere basis points I may be losing on my battery percentage.

That all said- I HAD read the steps you've all outlined for force quitting apps on the Watch, but due to the process for doing so (compared to the simplistic style on the iPhone) it doesn't feel the same. Haha, I wish I could explain it better than this, but the iPhone "double-click-and-swipe" merely feels like "X-ing" out of a window on a computer. While the long-hold on the power button and further steps to do it on the Watch feels like a control-ALT-DELETE windows/true Apple Force Quit. Hard to explain- but there's a huge difference how I feel about them both hahaha.....

12. lchlch macrumors 6502a

The reason closing apps saves power is that it kills some apps from refreshing in the background.

To get the same effect without all that hassle simply turn off background app refresh.

13. JEAZMIAK, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

JEAZMIAK macrumors newbie

I always closing background apps on my phone,and iOS does allow apps to run in the background yazaki

14. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I also wondered this when I got the watch but I immediately forgot about it's a great feeling just letting it do its thing. A few years ago, I used to close my iPhone apps all the time but I no longer do that anymore (well, apart from the odd one as there are exceptions) and it's nice to treat the watch the same way.

I have, however, noticed the odd tiny UI stutter on the watch and I wondered whether it was related to apps running or whatever.

15. simonx314, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

simonx314 macrumors regular

Double tapping the iPhone home button shows a list of recent apps, not running apps. If you have 100 apps installed, and you have opened all 100 apps at some point since the phone was powered on, all 100 will be in the recents list. This is not an indication that 100 apps are running.

Furthermore, apps that are running do not always appear in this list. Force quit Mail or Phone. Do you still get calls and email? Yes, those system apps are always running, even if you remove them from the recents list.

Newstand also appears in the recent apps list, and it's not even an app, Newstand is a folder!

iOS automatically reclaims memory from apps that have not been used recently, causing them to take longer to start up again later. Removing an app from the recents list by swiping up also forces iOS to reclaim the app's memory, which can help for troubleshooting a broken app, but in all other cases is reducing the speed of your device, wasting your time and wasting battery. Why wait for the app to start up next time when your phone could have just instantly resumed it?