Closing down applications on iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DougY, Mar 14, 2012.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Is there an application that I can use on my iMac, similar to MultiFlow on iPhone, that will shut down all running apps on my iMac?

2. simsaladimbamba

What is wrong with CMD+Q?
    You can CMD+TAB between applications, and while doing so, lift your finger from the TAB key and press the Q key with it, while holding down the CMD key.
    Or is that too complicated?

3. DougY, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012

DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Complicated?

Why is it sometimes someone like me asks for some simple advice here, and what I get is an answer riddled with patronizing sarcasm?

4. simsaladimbamba, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Now please read my post again without putting an attitude into it and just plain curiosity.
    What if I am seriously curious? What if I don't know your knowledge of Mac OS X? What if I am not a jackass?

PS: The "too complicated" part was not aimed at you ability to comprehend, but a question, if using CMD+TAB and CMD+Q together might be too complicated. Maybe you have a disability and would like a shorter shortcut. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Anyway, since I can't help you, have a good day and hopefully you will be in a better mood once you kiss your loved ones.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It wasn't patronizing and it wasn't sarcasm. It's a valid question, especially since so many ask for ways of doing things that are easily accomplished in a way they might not be familiar with. In many cases there is simply no way of knowing in advance what a poster's level of knowledge or expertise is. I suggest you check your attitude, as it's not the wisest approach to insult those who take the time to offer help. :rolleyes:

6. Xe89 macrumors regular

That's not very simple!

You should of course download and install the free application called Quicksilver, choose "Running applications" in the first pane and "Quit" in the second, then create a keyboard shortcut for that combination. Simple! : )

7. simsaladimbamba

That depends on your manual capabilities. Though one could just use CMD+Q repeatedly if all applications need to be shut down, the CMD+TAB gives you the option to select which application to close.

Can you be more specific? You might be a QS aficionado, but someone who may have never used QS will probably sit in front of it and shoot it after five minutes. That's what I did the last times I tried to use it.

Anyway, since the OP has not posted yet again, and probably never will, we'll never know.

8. Xe89 macrumors regular

I was joking. ; )

Holding cmd and using tab to cycle through programs and Q, which is next to tab on the keyboard, to quit them is one of the best things about OSX.

And about Quicksilver: yes, it's difficult at first. But if you give it time, it will reward you. You just have to stop thinking about it as a Spotlight replacement/app launcher.

For example, I can with Quicksilver search through menu bar items in a very simple way, much better than through the Help menu and more like the new "HUD" function of Ubuntu 12.04.

I can also creates "triggers" for all sorts of things, like internet logins created with 1Password. So for example cmd + alt + ctrl + G opens Gmail in your browser of choice and logs you in. Of course, if you not remember that kind of shortcut you could always assign a mouse gesture instead, like drawing a circle or the letter G which lets you login to Gmail.

And you don't have to use trigger at all if you don't want to. Like with the Runnings applications thing, I just have to type "Runn" and Quicksilver knows I'm searching for "Runnings applications" (QS learns my typing) and then press tab, then type "Q" and QS knows I'm want the action called "Quit". With Gmail I only have to type "Gm" and it displays Gmail. After some use I only have to type "G". : )

The first thing you should do however is to change the interface of Quicksilver from the standard one to BezelHUD. The standard one is ugly and looks like something from 2006. : (

9. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Apology

Please excuse my behavior from the other day, I genuinely thought that you had been sarcastic with me and I went off the deep end. I realize now that you were simply trying to help, and I misunderstood your comment.

10. soundexpression macrumors newbie

closing down all apps

whats wrong with force quit... hold alt+command+esc.. force quit will pop up.. then click top app and hold shift key and tap lower app... then say force quit...

it sounds like a lot but it becomes second nature once you start using it..

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Force quitting apps is not recommended unless the app is having problems. Force quitting can result in loss of documents or settings and should be used only as a last resort when an app is no longer responsive.