Closing laptop sleep problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by quynvan, Jul 19, 2009.

1. quynvan macrumors newbie

I recently notice that whenever i close my macbook the fan would kick in while in sleep mode. in addition because of the usage of the fan while in sleep mode my battery consumption diminishes very quickly. also after i open it up the macbook is frozen (the screen does not come on and i must restart manually). ive had my macbook for about 2 year and have gone through about 240 battery cycles. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.2 13" (White-SR) Specs (MB062LL/B)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is it actually sleeping? Is the :apple: logo off and the sleep light pulsing?

3. quynvan thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the apple logo is off and and the sleep light is pulsing. also after i open it up the macbook is frozen (the screen does not come on and i must restart manually).

4. quynvan thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone? when the macbook goes to sleep when the lid is closed, the fan will come on and start to drain the battery, plus when the macbook is then opened it will be frozen will have to be manually shutdown.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have any apps installed that will wake it? InsomniaX or Caffeine?

6. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

What about any bluetooth mice or keyboards that may be getting bumped?

7. quynvan thread starter macrumors newbie

im not running any apps besides maybe firefox. i also have no bluetooth devices. when i reopen it up from sleep mode the screen remains black. i have to manually shutdown.

basically if i close the lid while the laptop is on, im screwed.

8. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I know this is a stupid question, but no USB devices are plugged in, right? You could possibly try disconnecting from the internet (wifi, ethernet) before you sleep, see if that changes anything.

9. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If the fans are still running the macbook is not really sleeping.

I would try an SMC reset, as described on the apple support site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

Eventually take a look at the Console for possible errors that could indicate the problem.

10. quynvan thread starter macrumors newbie

in the last few day i have ran several scenarios to see when the fan comes on.

the fan doesnt come on right after i close the lid to the macbook. it takes several minutes for it to actually come on and then that is when if i open it up the screen will remain black and i have to manually shutdown.

i have also tried putting the macbook to sleep manually and not closing the lid and the same problems with the fan still still happens.