Closing Lid Action

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kiran.wish, Feb 28, 2009.

1. kiran.wish macrumors newbie

New to Mac. I tried to find a menu which gives me a list of action when I close the monitor lid. But I did not see anything in System preferences. Where should I be looking? Thanks

2. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

there isn't, i searched long and hard too.
    I think there is an app that will let you turn off the display only when you close the lid, however, the computer resumes so quickly from sleep, its not worth it

3. kiran.wish thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh gosh! My worry wasn't the resume time from sleep. I wanted my mac continue doing whatever it was doing even when it was put to sleep (playing music, downloading from web, copy files from external drives etc.. )

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you close the monitor, the only option is sleep, so that's what the computer does; you can install InsomniaX which can prevent said sleep when you close your lid but that's pretty much it.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you hook up an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse you can continue computer operations with the lid closed.

6. bradenwh macrumors 6502

7. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of putting it to sleep??!!

8. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You want to close the lid and have it continue normal functions right? Read my previous post....otherwise it will sleep.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

The original poster said nothing of putting the computer to sleep, only of wanting the computer to continue doing whatever it was while the lid was closed. Given that there's no input needed from the user, that's a very legitimate request.

As others have mentioned, InsomniaX is your best bet without an external monitor and keyboard/mouse.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya .. insomniaX is your best bet.

I find that it doesn't 'unload' properly sometimes (meaning that even after I quit the app, the macbook still doesn't go to sleep and just sits there draining the battery), but otherwise it does what it says.