Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Does closing the lid put it in sleep mode? I'm familiar with InsomniaX, but what happens if I'm downloading without InsomniaX on and close the lid? Will it stop the DL, pause it, or does it continue?

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I believe the default setting for closing the lid is to put the machine to sleep. Go into System Preferences to change this, I believe. I think this is how people use them as "head units" with external devices (keyboards/monitors/mice, etc.)

MacDann

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Closing the lid puts the comp to sleep. If you have a keyboard, mouse, monitor hooked up, you can awaken the comp from sleep and use it in clamshell mode.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I've used InsomniaX to keep my Mac from sleeping. It works under Leopard.

The problem with InsomniaX is, unless you click "sleep display", if you close the display, the screen stays on. I want something that, when I close the display, the computer stays on but the screen shuts off. Is this possible?

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
I'm still unsure if anyone even answered the OP's question...

Does a download stop if the Mac is put to sleep via lid closed? Or paused? Or does it still go? That will determine if the OP needs InsomniaX or not... XD

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'm still unsure if anyone even answered the OP's question...

Does a download stop if the Mac is put to sleep via lid closed? Or paused? Or does it still go? That will determine if the OP needs InsomniaX or not... XD

When you close the lid it goes to sleep, and stops all downloads. When you resume, you have to click the yellow Resume icon to resume the download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.