Closing Lid MBPR Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjfutures, Aug 26, 2015.

1. mjfutures macrumors member

mjfutures

I have a question. In my business we mainly run Macbook Pro Retina 15" all with top of the line GPUs (no on-board), and we run Dell U2414's 24" IPS & Dell P2715Q's (4k) ... so essentially we have 3 displays at each workstation. Now my question.... Would it benefit us performance wise to use the Macbook Pro's in clamshell mode vs making it run all 3 displays. Normally the only thing we use the Macbook Pro screen for is to keep iTunes up ... So what do you guys all do that run multiple displays on the Macbook Pro?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Probably not to be honest.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I run an older 23" Apple Cinema Display with a 27" Thunderbolt and I keep my rMBP lid open for the third monitor

4. mjfutures thread starter macrumors member

mjfutures

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I honestly don't notice a performance increase when its closed so leave it open too...but always wondered since its using GPU for retina macbook pro screen, 4k dell, and a 24 dell ... I'm just happy we didn't swap out to new mac pros, the one we have doesn't work any better than the laptops for what we do and its so nice to grab the laptop and have the office with you.