Closing Lid Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gattz, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

When I'm closing the lid after I'm done for the night when I'm on Windows side, I notice that sometimes when I wakeup and open the lid the laptop is not on. I'm assuming Windows went into hibernate mode, but what tells it to stay asleep or go into hibernation?

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

You can change that by going into your power settings. You can set for how long until it sleep, hibernates, what closing your lid does, etc.

3. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I'm looking at the "Choose what closing the lid does" and it says that all the options are for sleep, but as I said it apparently hibernates over night.

4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Did you check the timers for sleep and hibernate? You should see an area where you can tell it how long until it sleeps on battery and on power, as well as when the display shuts off and other power related settings. Even if the lid only puts it to sleep I think it will still hibernate if you have it set to hibernate after a period of time.

5. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mind showing me where I can find this?

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

If you look at your notification bar, default is in the right side of your taskbar, you should see an icon for power. If not plugged in it looks like a battery, if plugged in it has a little lightning bolt in it. If you right click that you should be able to go to power options.

Alternatively you can just go into start, control panel, then choose power options. From there you can change settings, it will even have a link on the left to change what your lid does when you close it.

7. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for long delay. Anyway, I've been on that page before, but I still don't see a place to set timers and such. There are only options for Hibernate, sleep, etc., but no timers.

8. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

You to need to go and change your power plan settings. Then go to change advanced settings. Then there is a sleep open, under that there is a hibernate after button... you can set both Battery and plugged in to never, just put minutes as 0.

This only changes this for the particular power plan that you are changing. You can change for each one individually or if you only always use one, such as balanced, just do it for that one.

Hope this helps.