Closing lid to work with thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mabyboi, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Hey guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have a Retina 15" and a new Thunderbolt Display. I want to know how to get it to work so that when I close the lid on my retina I can continue to use the monitor with a keyboard and mouse?

I have power plugged in, the thunderbolt cable, a USB hard wired mouse, and a Bluetooth Apple keyboard. I'm also running Mountain Lion 10.8.2

I tired closing the lid and waking the laptop with the keyboard and mouse but it didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

2. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Hummmm....

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know...

I just this minute tried it on a rMBP running 10.8.2 (plus OS X server), and it works for me after the lid is closed, albeit I use both the wireless Apple Keyboard and the wireless Apple Trackpad (although I doubt this makes a difference).

Switon

3. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Hi switon,

We're there any settings you had to change? Or does it pick it up right away? I'll have to keep trying with it.

Thanks!

4. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: settings...

Hi,

No, I don't think there are any special settings to allow this...

Are you sure your power adaptor is plugged in...I've noticed that sometimes the magsafe adaptor appears to be plugged in but is "cock-eyed" at an angle and so is not actually supplying power. Have you checked yours?

Switon

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

Are you using apple keyboards and/or an apple mouse?

Sometimes I've found that non-apple keyboards and mice don't wake up a sleeping Macbook in clamshell mode.

6. Mabyboi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I was using a bluetooth apple keyboard and a Cyborg R.A.T 7. Thats probably the issue, im grabbing a magic mouse tomorrow.