Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
I'm wondering if there is a way to "fix" this issue I am having. At home, I run my MacBook in clamshell mode connected to a 24" widescreen display. At times, I like to open the MacBook lid and move my Windows XP via Fusion over to the MacBook so I can run it full screen (the 24" is set as the primary display). The problem is, when I am done with XP and I shut the Mac lid, it goes into sleep mode. Is there any way to make it not do this while the MacBook is the secondary display? It's only a minor inconvenience but if I am doing something on the primary display (encoding, burning, etc.) I have to remember to NOT close the lid.

Any help would be appreciated.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You need to plug in a USB keyboard and/or mouse. The MacBook is clever enough to know you can't use it when you can't touch the keyboard or mouse...

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
I have my BT keyboard and mouse connected though. And when it sleeps, I can wake it using the mouse or keyboard. It has to be something else. Thanks though.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I think "InsomniaX" is what you're looking for?

I'm not sure exactly. OS X is stupid about how it handles external displays and its also stupid that OS X doesn't have a feature to disable sleep on lid close built-in like Windows has had since Windows 95.

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
i to am using an external monitor with the wireless apple keyboard and the mx revolution mouse usb
so when i close the lid to close it, it goes into sleep mode, then i try to push a button on the keyboard to re wake it and nothing happens!!!
help...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.