Closing Macbook lid won't put it to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jethryn Freyman, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Hi guys.

I've got a 4,1 Macbook here, bought secondhand from eBay. Works pretty well, but there's one issue that I find particulary annoying: it won't go to sleep when I shut the lid. I have to manually put it to sleep, so it goes to sleep, then shut the lid. When I open the lid, it doesn't come back on, I need to go press a key.

This is a problem for me because it means that I can't operate in clamshell mode attached to my nice big 2048x1152 screen. I can't plug in everything, put it to sleep, close the lid, then wake it up to work it on the big screen - it can't sense that it's in clamshell mode so it just wakes up the screen and all I can do is either mirroring or extended desktop.

Any ideas?

Are there any applications out there that may help.

Thanks!

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Have you tried this yet?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Resetting_the_PRAM

3. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

Im not sure about the macbook, but I assume it works the same way.. there are magnets in the lid which make contact with magnets in the chasis and tell the computer to go to sleep. There might be something wrong with that mechanism.

Also make sure you are not stacking macbooks as one magnet can make the other magnet go crazy.

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yep, I've reset the PRAM twice, which actually fixed another problem I was having (iSight didn't work and the green light was always on.)

The magnets are certainly there under the screen bezel, and no, I haven't being stacking my Macbooks. :)

5. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

6. grundybin macrumors newbie

7. DuPPs macrumors newbie

get a magnet and hover it close along the left hand side of the palm rest, ur machine should go to sleep once u get to the right location. if it doesnt go to sleep your sleep sensor is faulty and needs replacing or if the screen has bee changed then the magnet might not be installed back the right way.

the sleep sensor is apart of the battery connector.

hope that helps

8. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Bumping a thread for what reason, it's 6 months old, next time look at the date the thread started first before posting.

9. DuPPs macrumors newbie

well im sure others wil benefit from the information i have supplied seeing as the original poster has not come back with a result on what went wrong.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hey hey... What if the OP hasn't found the solution yet?