Closing Pages removes file from Sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tobindia, Mar 17, 2012.

1. tobindia macrumors member

I can't find a forum site dedicated to iWork or Pages, so I hope this is the right spot...

I have a Pages file in my Finder Sidebar. When I click on it, look at or change it, and then close Pages, the file is removed from my Sidebar. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Lion (10.7.3) and Pages '09 (4.1).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How did you put the file in the sidebar, exactly?

3. MrAppleseed macrumors member

I have no solution for the problem, but I tried it out and figured out that the behaviour also occurs for other than pages files. The only suggestion I have is dragging files to the Finder’s symbol bar instead.

Drag and drop the file into the sidebar while holding cmd, I guess.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know how to do it. It's important to know how the OP did it.

5. simsaladimbamba

No need for the COMMAND key.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

@ MrAppleseed: I get a circle/slash symbol when attempting to do that, using Leopard. So, that makes me wonder what the OP's definition of "the Sidebar" is... or if Lion has that capability.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I'm waiting for clarification from the OP. As Johnny 5 would say, "Need input!"

9. tobindia thread starter macrumors member

I highlighted the file in Finder, then clicked File > Add to Sidebar.

10. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I did that & a file stayed in the sidebar when I quit Pages.

You haven't explained why you want a document in the sidebar. I can see putting a folder of frequently used files although I use the Dock for that.

11. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Does it matter why?

I've tried this with a few different apps (including Pages) and can't seem to replicate the issue, they always stay in the sidebar!

12. simsaladimbamba

Yep, tried it too, but I use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, though that may not be a fair comparison.

13. tobindia thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's still happening with Pages. It does NOT happen with OpenOffice...

14. simsaladimbamba

15. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I cannot duplicate the behavior you are reporting. The pages file in the sidebar remains there after closing Pages, regardless of whether or not I update the file before closing Pages. I'm using OSX 10.7.3 and Pages 4.1.

16. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Since no one else seems to be able to replicate the behavior, understanding why the OP wants to do this could help find an alternative.

17. MrAppleseed macrumors member

I can. But I agree with your second statement.

18. tobindia thread starter macrumors member

Solved ... sort of ...

Intending to create the screenshots as requested, I created a new file in Pages, put it in the Sidebar, opened it in Pages, closed pages, ... and the File stayed in the Sidebar! I then did the same thing with the original file, and when I closed Pages, the file went out of the Sidebar! So, I figured it must be something about the original file. (I converted it from OpenOffice -- not that it should matter.) I re-created the file from scratch in Pages, put it in Sidebar, etc., and the file stays in Sidebar when I close Pages!

I doubt that I'll ever get to the bottom of it, but at this point, I don't care. I've worked around it, and I (we?) have better things to do.

Thanks to all for your help!