Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobindia

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I can't find a forum site dedicated to iWork or Pages, so I hope this is the right spot...

I have a Pages file in my Finder Sidebar. When I click on it, look at or change it, and then close Pages, the file is removed from my Sidebar. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Lion (10.7.3) and Pages '09 (4.1).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can't find a forum site dedicated to iWork or Pages, so I hope this is the right spot...

I have a Pages file in my Finder Sidebar. When I click on it, look at or change it, and then close Pages, the file is removed from my Sidebar. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Lion (10.7.3) and Pages '09 (4.1).
How did you put the file in the sidebar, exactly?

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
I have no solution for the problem, but I tried it out and figured out that the behaviour also occurs for other than pages files. The only suggestion I have is dragging files to the Finder’s symbol bar instead.

How did you put the file in the sidebar, exactly?

Drag and drop the file into the sidebar while holding cmd, I guess.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
@ MrAppleseed: I get a circle/slash symbol when attempting to do that, using Leopard. So, that makes me wonder what the OP's definition of "the Sidebar" is... or if Lion has that capability.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@ MrAppleseed: I get a circle/slash symbol when attempting to do that, using Leopard. So, that makes me wonder what the OP's definition of "the Sidebar" is... or if Lion has that capability.
That's why I'm waiting for clarification from the OP. As Johnny 5 would say, "Need input!"

tobindia

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I highlighted the file in Finder, then clicked File > Add to Sidebar.

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I highlighted the file in Finder, then clicked File > Add to Sidebar.

I did that & a file stayed in the sidebar when I quit Pages.

You haven't explained why you want a document in the sidebar. I can see putting a folder of frequently used files although I use the Dock for that.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Does it matter why?

I've tried this with a few different apps (including Pages) and can't seem to replicate the issue, they always stay in the sidebar!

tobindia

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Well, it's still happening with Pages. It does NOT happen with OpenOffice...

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I cannot duplicate the behavior you are reporting. The pages file in the sidebar remains there after closing Pages, regardless of whether or not I update the file before closing Pages. I'm using OSX 10.7.3 and Pages 4.1.

tobindia

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Solved ... sort of ...

Intending to create the screenshots as requested, I created a new file in Pages, put it in the Sidebar, opened it in Pages, closed pages, ... and the File stayed in the Sidebar! I then did the same thing with the original file, and when I closed Pages, the file went out of the Sidebar! So, I figured it must be something about the original file. (I converted it from OpenOffice -- not that it should matter.) I re-created the file from scratch in Pages, put it in Sidebar, etc., and the file stays in Sidebar when I close Pages!

I doubt that I'll ever get to the bottom of it, but at this point, I don't care. I've worked around it, and I (we?) have better things to do.

Thanks to all for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.