Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Ok, another question to help make life better:

Is there a way to have the program close out after the last window is closed without having to manually quit it?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
This forum is "Windows on the Mac", so my question is, are we talking windows apps? cause they do that already. :confused:

Edit: OK, the thread got moved!

In OSX there is no way that I know of to do that.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
CMD+Q

Only applications with one window (System Preferences, iPhoto, iMovie) quit after the window is closed.
Btw, you can run many applications at once, currently I have fourteen programs open, it can get up to 25. Mac OS X takes care of RAM allocation quite good.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Ok, another question to help make life better:

Is there a way to have the program close out after the last window is closed without having to manually quit it?
Why would you want an application to automatically close? I would want some control over it...

...Calculator, Dictionary, iCal(?), System Profiler(?)

others???

iPhoto. System profiler and iCal do not close when you close their window.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Why would you want an application to automatically close? I would want some control over it...

iPhoto. System profiler and iCal do not close when you close their window.

Why would you want the app still running when closing the windows? I can understand why some daemons would do this, but not an end user application.

It seems Apple is inconsistent with their own GUI and apps.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Why would you want the app still running when closing the windows? I can understand why some daemons would do this, but not an end user application.

It seems Apple is inconsistent with their own GUI and apps.

Because if I close a window I want to close the window. It makes no sense to quit an application when I close a window. If I want to quit an application, I'll quit the application. Also, new windows will open faster if the application is still running. One thing I hate in Windows is when I close iTunes it quits iTunes. I don't like leaving my iTunes window open, but I like to listen to music!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I recall that this dead horse was beaten beyond recognition in previous threads.

The OP has a questions, please focus on helping him/her know if there is a way to do it via third party apps or not instead of rehashing the same pro-con arguments we always seem to end up with.

Please? :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Because if I close a window I want to close the window. It makes no sense to quit an application when I close a window. If I want to quit an application, I'll quit the application. Also, new windows will open faster if the application is still running. One thing I hate in Windows is when I close iTunes it quits iTunes. I don't like leaving my iTunes window open, but I like to listen to music!

I figured if you closed the last window you'd be done with the app. That makes sense to me. I never close all windows just to return and open a new one. Apple is clearly divided, however, on which direction to take.

For iTunes on Windows, you can minimize to the system tray easily enough so it is out of sight.

As for the OP, I have no idea how to change this behavior.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I figured if you closed the last window you'd be done with the app. That makes sense to me. I never close all windows just to return and open a new one. Apple is clearly divided, however, on which direction to take.

For iTunes on Windows, you can minimize to the system tray easily enough so it is out of sight.

Take Photoshop for example, if I have closed every photo/image, it is still running, like I want to, if I need to return to it later.

It's a quick convenience, that Mac OS X leaves applications running, and I read somewhere, what the reason was behind the one-window-closing->quit-applcation policy. I can only recite by memory, but it has something to do with applications having only a single window (System Preferences) or more (iCal, System Profiler, ...).

Maybe the following can help:

Introduction to Apple Human Interface Guidelines

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
How is Apple divided? It's simple. Single window applications quit when an application closes the only window; multi-window applications remain running.

Don't patronize me. I'm more than Windows savvy.

As for the OP, I have no idea how to change this behavior.

I've heard of 3rd party tools that do this, but I have no idea how reliable they are.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

The browser is a good example of that. I never leave the browser window open but I leave the app open so I can use it when I need it. That is just one example--I use pretty much all of my apps that way and for me, it works great.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
How is Apple divided? It's simple. Single window applications quit when an application closes the only window; multi-window applications remain running.

I thought you said iPhoto, System Profiler, and iCal stayed open, which are single window apps. I haven't tested yet.

Don't patronize me. I'm more than Windows savvy.

I don't know anything about you, so how could I patronize you? It was a simple tip. It seems the PRSI is getting you. Calm down and realize not everybody is out to put people in their place.

I've heard of 3rd party tools that do this, but I have no idea how reliable they are.

Well how about helping the OP then?

The browser is a good example of that. I never leave the browser window open but I leave the app open so I can use it when I need it. That is just one example--I use pretty much all of my apps that way and for me, it works great.

Question then. How do you open a new window? Do you Command-Tab and then Command-N or do you hit the icon in the dock? I'm a RAM minimalist.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Question then. How do you open a new window? Do you Command-Tab and then Command-N or do you hit the icon in the dock? I'm a RAM minimalist.

I just hit the icon in the dock to bring back the browser. I use the mouse more than short-cuts except for the ones that make my life easier. I am only RAM conscious at the end of the day and usually close most open apps before I put my iMac to sleep. I only have 2GB of RAM, do a fair amount of graphic work and web design in addition to normal things most people do--plus I have music streaming from either Sirius or Slacker the entire time my iMac is awake. I never have RAM issues.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Interesting, I always quit the app or, in the case of a web browser, leave a window open so I can type an address in quickly. Thanks for the reply.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
The main issue I have is thunderbird (email). My wife and I both use it, and when I close it, she'll open it up and it will only open my email. She has to remember to completely quit it to allow it to bring the open specific user account when she opens it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The main issue I have is thunderbird (email). My wife and I both use it, and when I close it, she'll open it up and it will only open my email. She has to remember to completely quit it to allow it to bring the open specific user account when she opens it.

And that's why you don't have more than one user using a single user account.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
System Profiler and iCal close for me when I close their window...

You can have several windows open in System Profiler and iCal has two other windows.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Next up: Deleting select items from the Trash!

Followed by: Cut+Paste in Finder?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 3.13.03 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 3.13.03 AM.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 3.14.32 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 3.14.32 AM.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 51

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
System Profiler and iCal close for me when I close their window...

I honestly don't believe you. What OS are you running? I've never come across an OS X machine that quits either application when their windows are closed. In fact I often find system profiler open on various computers in Apple Stores just because some newbies are too used to Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.