Closing rMBP from corners of screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingneptune117, Mar 25, 2014.

1. kingneptune117, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

kingneptune117 macrumors member

Will closing the macbook pro from the corners of the screen rather than the middle of the top of the screen hurt the hinge at all? My friend playfully tried to close the screen on me and he pushed on the right corner rather than the middle. This bothers me for some reason...am I overthinking it?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've been closing my cMBP from the corners for the past 3 years, and the hinge still hasn't failed.

I'm also still doing it to both my Haswell rMBPs.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm thrown my computer, slammed it down, done nasty things. I think you'll be fine.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't even look at where I close the cover on my rMBP. I think you should just enjoy it and don't worry how you close the lid :)

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Given the thin nature of the screen best practice would be to use the centre of the screen. But in reality it's not going to cause damage unless you have stiff hinge syndrome.

6. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I think what really bothers you is your friend touching your valuable stuff.
    I have this too with certain friends. I'd rather have them not touch anything at all but sometimes it's harmless, and you don't wanna come off as a control freak by not letting him/her touch anything.

7. kingneptune117 thread starter macrumors member

I think that is part of it. I HATE when people come up and starting resting their arm on my laptop, or just start playing around with it without my permission.

Also, i'm in mechanical engineering and the world of stresses, deflection, and material failure has been opened up to me. When this happened I actually thought about the torque that was probably being exerted on the one side of the hinge :cool:

But yeah, I think I need to stop worrying about my laptop so much. I always worry about putting it in my backpack too. I worry that the books are going to put too much force on it and the screen will get scruffed from the keypad.

8. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Haha, the thing with the backpack I have too, but that's normal it's goddamn €3000 laptop for me. I want it to last after all.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes. I'm in mechanical engineering as well and still think you're overthinking this.

If you want to go all out engineering style, the fact that the MBP's top shell is machined out of a aluminum gives it a lot of residual stresses from the machining unless they bother annealing it and re-heat treating it. This gives it plenty of rigidity to survive being closed from a corner without excess torque or deformation actually reaching the hinge.