Closing Screen - Stopping Sleep Mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossgumbrell, May 18, 2007.

1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

Is it possible to close the lid of my 12" Powerbook G4 and stop it going into sleep mode?

Reason being, im using 'Connect 360' to stream all my pics, movies and music of my Powerbook to my Xbox 360. Connect 360 doesnt stream when the computer sleeps, so i need to have the screen open all the time.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I know it must be possible because people have their laptops closed when they hvae them connected to an external monitor. No idea on how it works when not connected to one, but if you have a spare monitor around give that a go? pain in the ass that would be i guess..

3. rossgumbrell thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for reply. I very occationally use a 2nd display, but the computer stops itsself sleeping when you have a keyboard, mouse and display attached. When you close the lid, it just shuts its monitor off and so the external becomes the primary. The computer can clearly do it, just cant seem to do it without having 3 things connected to it...

4. rossgumbrell thread starter macrumors regular

Couldnt apple put in a streaming mode or something!?!? So other computers can still access it on the network etc.

shut down gfx card. reduce processing power. slow disk rpm. just keep airport and ethernet active... seems like a good idea

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Why not just leave the laptop open then? Why do you have to close it?

InsomniaX works pretty good, except I ran into a little bug a few days ago where after switching it off and closing the program, my Macbook didn't want to sleep again.

7. chex macrumors regular

plug in a keyboard and hit a key after you close the screen

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

cause i have cats, and i didnt want them running all over my macbook and scratching the screen, and considering i needed to run down the battery, my best bet would be to close the lid and let the battery run down.

Did you fix the bug in the end? how so?
    :)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you don't like InsomniaX, try Sleepless. And try forum search. ;)

10. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The bug could've been a one off thing I guess. You can always reboot if you need to get rid of the bug though, so it's not that big of a deal.