Closing tabs in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macnoviz, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I just switched from Firefox to Safari, but I am really starting to miss the ability to close tabs by clicking them with the middle mouse button (scroll wheel)
    Is there a way to do this in Safari, or are then any better ways to close tabs withouth having to click the little close button to the left of them?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Any way to do it quick for inactive tabs?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Option-CMD-W closes inactive tabs :)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, AFAIK, "quick operation" isn't apple's tradition.:)

I kinda think he meant individual inactive tabs?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Click on the close button on the left hand side of the tab, or right click and choose close tab.

7. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

that's kinda of the thing I was hoping to avoid. The close button is really small, and right clicking requires moving, right-clicking, pointing and clicking.

8. martinielsen macrumors newbie

I really really miss a much loved function from the firefox tab mix plus addon, namely double tap a tab to close it. That would be the quickest solution for me, currently I use the command + w. Actually I miss that function so much (together with the Auto Copy addon) that I consider going back to firefox.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Safari Shortcuts

Command (⌘)-Option-F

Scroll up, down, left, or right
    Arrow keys

Scroll in larger increments
    Press Option while you press an arrow key

Scroll down a screen
    Page Down key

Space bar
    Scroll up a screen

Page Up key
    Shift–Space bar

Open a page in a new tab
    Press Command (⌘) while you click a link or bookmark

Open a page in a new tab, and bring tab to the front
    Press Command (⌘) and Shift while you click a link or bookmark

Bring the next tab to the front
    Control-Tab or Command (⌘)-Shift-[

Bring the previous tab to the front
    Control-Shift-Tab or Command (⌘)-Shift-]

Close all tabs except for one
    Press Option while you click the close button (X) on the tab you want to leave open

Open all bookmarks in a collection in the bookmarks bar in tabs
    Press Command (⌘) and click the collection in the bookmarks bar

See a list of recent pages by name
    Press the Back or Forward button until the list appears

See a list of recent pages by address
    Press the Option key and press the Back or Forward button until the list appears

Open a downloaded file
    Double-click the icon next to the file in the Downloads window

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just install Glims, it has an option to turn on closing tabs with middle button.

11. martinielsen macrumors newbie

It looks really great but it is possible to middle click with the trackpad?

12. ronaldmathies macrumors newbie

Extension available for this purpose

I've created an extension for Safari which does exactly what you want. It closes all the tabs except for the tab that is currently active.

As a side effect you can also change a setting which when enabled will on pressing the button ask you if you really want that (to prevent accidental button presses).

You can find the extension on the extensions page of Safari:

http://extensions.apple.com

I will be adding the following functionality soon:

Context menu options will be added so that you can create a white list of websites that you don’t want to have closed upon clicking the Close All Tabs button. This can be convenient if you, just like me, have a number of tabs open with websites you never close.

For example, i always have my GMail open and another page i am working on. All the other tabs can in most cases be closed all at once at some point, however i don’t want it to close my GMail and currently active tab.

13. kasakka macrumors 68000

Yes. Just install BetterTouchtool and you could set for example three finger click to act as middle click.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I just right-click on the active tab and choose Close Other Tabs. :rolleyes:

15. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Does anyone know if an extension has been made to allow for the 3 finger swipe up/down= go to the top/bottom of a webpage? The only thing I really miss from Firefox and it's been a pain to not have.

I'm aware of multiclutch but I could never configure it properly.

16. J Thanick macrumors newbie

Closing Tabs Via Contextual Menu

Does anyone know how to add a "close tab" command to the control click contextual menu in Safari?
    I know that if you control click on the actual tab you get get a different contextual menu that includes the close tab command, but the contextual menu available by clicking on the body of the page does not contain that command. I'm using the track pad on a mac book pro and want to be able to close the tab by using the using the trackpad alone without having to shift to the keyboard or move the cursor up to the top of the window to close the tab. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx

17. gcoghill macrumors member

gcoghill

I want to see something like this as well!

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

Nobody uses Multiclutch anymore. Get Better Touch Tool. Or if you use the Magic Mouse, get Steermouse MagicDriver. Both allow you to do exactly what you want.

How about just using BTT to add a gesture for close tab? Something not too easy like four finger swipe or something.

19. gcoghill macrumors member

gcoghill

20. J Thanick macrumors newbie

Closing Safari Tabs Via Contextual Menu

Moved this question to a new thread: Closing Safari Tabs Via Contextual Menu

21. DWIM macrumors newbie

Speaking of tab functioning...

I am looking for a way (for this relative nb) for the following action: When I close a tab, it automatically returns me to the prior tab that got me here, instead of what it does now. It currently just leaves me at the tab to the immediate left of the tab I just closed. FWIW, my reasoning is I initially use a folder with Open in Tabs to initialize all my morning reading. The I click open interested articles to read in more depth. They open at the visible right side, which may or may not be at the actual end of the opened tabs list. Once I close that tab, focus goes to the opened tab to the immediate left of the tab I closed, not back to the tab I initially started that new tab with. Perhaps said differently, I'm looking for stack functionality, based on what tabs have opened what follow-on tabs, a 'simple' stack approach in data structures.