Closing tabs in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chan2004, Jun 17, 2008.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

Hi,

I normally open around 20 to 30 tabs in a single safari browser at a time.

But I couldn't see the close tab(or X) in the tab's which are to the extreme right.
    Can anyone tell me how to close the tabs
    also, their schortcut

thanks

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but when you're viewing the page in a tab you want to close you can just hit apple-w on the keyboard.

3. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

as we open more number of tabs in a safari browser, the pages to the right can be selected from a dropdown button.
    after seeing the page, if i want to close it, i will normally have a X button on the tab. But for tabs to the extreme right, this X doesn't appear.
    As a result, If i want to close these tabs, now, i have to close the whole safari browser and then restart it again

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Yup cmd W will close the current tab. Also in case you feel like you`ve opened too many tabs and have difficulty browsing through them, you can just pick up a TAB(any one you can see) and drop it down thereby making it a new window and the you can pick up the other viewable tabs and put them on the new window. This way you can now see all the tabs you have opened in 2 or 3 different safari windows. And you can easily close the ones you want to.

Other wise as motulist told you Just use CMD+W to close the tabs.

5. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I thought I was opening a lot sometimes when I had 6 or 8. 20 or 30 pages open at once.:eek:

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Command-W to close current tab.

You can also use keyboard shortcut COMMAND-SHIFT-[ or ] to move from tabs, or Command~ to move between windows.

Typically if tabs are overlapping, I open a new browser window.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if anybody cares, command-option w will close every tab except the current tab. but if you needed to close everything, just hit the red button on the upper left.

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Don't forget apple-shift-arrow left or right to move through your tabs.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i wish firefox would use those keystrokes instead of command-option arrow. i use command-option right to skip itunes tracks.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I use command-W to close a tab I'm viewing, but I do sometimes wish I could slide the whole Safari display to the right to see another collection of tabs.

Imagine if there was horizontal slider just below the tab bar, so you could slide right or left through all of the open tabs. I might start out viewing tabs 1 through 12 of 30, but I could slide it to the right to view tabs 2 through 13, 3 through 14, 4 through 15, etc. I'd get a drop-down on the left for any left-side tabs not currently in view. If I slide it all the way to the right, I'd see tabs 19 through 30. I could click an X to close any of the dozen tabs I see at any given time.

12. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You can change or add key commands to any menu item in any program. Just go to system pref's keyboard pane and add key commands to an application, select fire fox. Then you can add key commands to any menu item and remap existing built in key commands. Go nuts!

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

^^wow. i don't think i could have any more than ten tabs open at one time. attention span..too..short...

the ocd in me doesn't like to change these settings. :eek: further, i'm not really a big fan of firefox, so it isn't much of an issue anyway.

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Firefox 3 has this and i can use my Mighty Mouse's scrollball to horizontally scroll thru the tabs. im not sure how you do it with a vertical only scroll mouse. i wish Safari would implement this. maybe we should feature request it? ;)

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

just move mouse to the tabs, and scroll up and down, the tabs will slide.

Firefox is working on more convenient tab switchers. There is an addon which is created for bug 395980, which might be going into firefox eventually.

Attached Files: