Closing windows

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by YaDude, Nov 14, 2011.

1. YaDude macrumors newbie

Hi. I finally made the switch to mac and I love it. I have a question and cant seem to find an answer on the internet.
    Why is it that when I click on the red X to close a program, it doesn't close the whole program.
    Every time I close something, I click on the red X and then have to quit the program.
    I dont understand why I need to close two things. Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Please help. Thank you in advance.

2. simply amazing macrumors member

with macs, when you close the window, it doesn't close the program like windows does. you have to manually quit each application. either go to the menubar and hit quit or simply do "command+Q". it'll close the windows automatically

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is just one of those things that's different about Mac OS. You may have noticed, however, that single-window programs, such as System Preferences, exhibit the quit-on-close-last-window behavior. That is because, with only one window, there is no point to leaving the program running.

4. YaDude thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something because it seemed weird to close the program twice.

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

As a long time OSX user this is one of those anomalies I'll never get used to. There's nothing more frustrating then fiddling with a document window that has the wrong menu bar on top of it. (e.g., a MS-Word file with the Finder menu active).

In this age of blazing fast memory and SSD's I really don't understand why the application needs to stay in memory with no associated documents open. Even Apple is inconsistent with this approach as things like Disk Utility will indeed shut down by closing the document window.

Daily rant over. Carry on...