Clothes shopping

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Aug 8, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Lol, first, I'd hate to start such a thread, but I'm lost.

I need help shopping for clothes, well not help, as much as ideas on where to buy clothes.

I mean, I'm not a fan of Macys, and the clothing stores in the malls around here are just worthless.

I need 1-2 pairs of jeans, and a couple t-shirts.
    I really don't think for jeans that I'd wear anything but Levi's, but nonetheless, if you have a good brand that you stick to/love, go ahead and post it.

For the shirts, I don't really care as long as it doesn't have something stupid written on it, and if it's not a weird color (Pink, Purple, Yellow).

My price range is pretty much up to $30. Possibly $35 including shipping, but as always, the cheaper the stuff, the better.
    Oh my pants size is 28x30, and shirts are Medium/Large if the large is smaller than a regular Large.

2. Greedo Guest

i always get my tshirts from american apparel online. all the colors, all the sizes, and plenty of discount coupon codes to be had.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, I'm not really a fan of just basic tees. I'd like for something to be on it, whether it be a logo/writing/picture, etc.

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

www.threadless.com

This is where i get all my T-Shirts. They have a great selection (of course there is some stupid stuff, but just ignore it).
    They're having a sale right now so hurry up :D

For jeans, why not Levi's? To be honest, they're all i wear, and it's because of they're great fit (i'm a 28x30 as well) and quality.

5. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I ride dirt bikes in my spare time, lots of FMF, Fox, Shift, Vans, Spy....etc clothing in my wardrobe.

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I said I would NOT wear anything but Levi's.

Got any preference for any specific Levi's?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I did go and see all those websites.

Oh, by the way, I'm set on the shirts, I just ordered two.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I buy almost all my clothes from a store called "Plato's Closet" They buy and sell gently used name brand clothing for dirt cheap. I can usually get 3 or 4 "like new" branded shirts for about $15. Their selection is primarily girl's clothing, but they do have nice guy stuff. Sometimes they do a "grab bag" day and you get a grocery bag for $10 and can stuff it as full as you can with clothes that have a stamp on the tag, and get all those clothes for just that $10. It is amazing. Two friends and I went and clawed our way through the HUGE crowd and combined our three bags into ONE tearing/busting bag, and got like 13/14 things for only $10. It is great. :D:D

8. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Low waist, boot cut are the Levi's I get. I mainly use them as a "I look like crap and feel lazy" outfit. If you only want 1-2 pairs of jeans for college, why not get higher end ones that will last all four years and further. 7 For All Mankind, True Religion, etc...

T-Shirts? Get polos!

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Oh! Sorry, i read your OP wrong :eek:

I'm really a fan of the Levi 511's. They're slim fit jeans (borderline skinny jeans, but not really). Since you have a waist of 28x30, they should look nice on you. If you really like skinny jeans, then 510's are the best (i have a pair, excellent jeans).

I have these 511's, awesome fit and look

My pair of 510's. The price is bigger (i got them when they were having a sale), but they're REALLY nice

But if you aren't too into the skinny thing, 514's are a pretty good substitute :)

And like spaceboots said, if you're only going to buy 1 or two jeans, maybe you want to go with some premium jeans? If you want to go that road, i recommend Diesel.

I prefer not to buy premium jeans because of their price. I'd rather have 3 pairs of Levi's in different washes/colours rather than one pair of premium jeans.

So were the two shirts you got from Threadless? If so, which did you pick?

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are these high-end brands really that much of a better quality/last that much longer? I would think they are gonna fade and tear the same as any other pair of jeans. Unless they are made by elves and are enchanted to last longer. :p

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Well, yeah, you're right, sort of. I've had a few pairs of Levi's for about three years and they're doing good. One has a stain on it and a few have tattered bottoms. I think I have two pairs that are still hanging in there though.

The thing with more expensive jeans is that they're more flexible and less prone to ripping. Also, I've had a pair of wide leg 7 For All Mankind jeans under my shoes because they're wide leg, and the bottoms haven't gotten tattered yet.

12. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, it's not for college, I'm still growing, so I don't want to dish out a lot of money and then outgrow them in like 6 months.

I didn't get them from Threadless. I got them from www.crazydogtshirts.com.
    I payed about $25 including shipping for 2 shirts.
    And I have enough polo's!

Oh, and I'm not a fan of skinny jeans. I mean, I like to wear shorts underneath my jeans/pants. Plus, I like more of a normal look. Not skinny, and not baggy.

13. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

So what kind of jeans (fit wise) are you even looking for?

EDIT: I guess you edited your above post right before i posted this...

So if you're not into skinny jeans, then 511's are the best. They're slim/skinny straight legged jeans. The one's i put in my post are really nice and have a good sale price as well :)

14. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

16. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm big on J.Crew. I think a majority of my clothes are from there...I like clothes but I don't really like shopping, so it's easy to just go to one place where I'll always know my size.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Men.jsp

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yaaay! I just got these two:

http://www.threadless.com/product/1934/Flock_of_Gulls
    http://www.threadless.com/product/868/Dulces_Vacaciones

19. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

The second pair are on sale for $39. They're good quality jeans, and will last you a long time.

Plus, Urban Outfitters isn't really the best when it comes to good prices. Try searching for Levi 514's on Amazon.

Lawl at the second one :D
    I'd get it is they weren't out of smalls :(

20. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I don't get the tee's. Care to explain?

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No.

For jeans, just buy the style you like. And if you don't know already, you like wearing either bootcut or straight-leg jeans.

22. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'm a fan of the 559s from levi. I went into JC Penny's on friday and they didn't have any of them. Had every other style there was. Wish we had another store in town.

23. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I don't get the first one, but the second is pretty funny. The panda on the left is that colour because he was tanning on vacation (hence his suitcase). It's sounds stupid you explain it out, but it's a pretty cute shirt :D

24. Azmordean macrumors 6502

I know you said Levis, but for jeans, I tend to like Old Navy. A lot of Old Navy's stuff is low quality, but their jeans are quite nice. I like the "straight" variety - they fit well and aren't baggy.

T-shirts, I don't wear too often - I trend a bit preppier so generally where polos and such unless I'm just bumming around the house or doing something outdoors. But for polos, I like Banana Republic - their polos have a tiny bit of lycra in them, so they hold their shape well.

Tees, when I do wear them, I just get wherever. I like American Eagle Ts (just normal logo ones, not ones covered with nonsense), otherwise, I'll just pick up a T when I see it if I like it :).

25. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

OP, you're brave! i always have to try my jeans on... even at my favorite stores! (and i love macy*s.... so no help there either!)