Cloud archive without automated backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Jan 26, 2017.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I will no longer need my Crashplan unlimited subscription because I'll be on the road constantly, lacking affordable access to the broadband connectivity those massive global backups would require. But I would like to have a cloud-based "footlocker" that simply holds non-critical data in the event that I might need to grab it sometime. Unfortunately, Crashplan has no "never backup automatically" option...

I'm using DropBox for non-sensitive files; it works well and gives me more than enough space. But I also know Dropbox isn't the most secure place to deposit information. Would encrypting sensitive folders in FileVault and then dragging them onto DropBox solve that problem?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes totally. Just crate an encrypted sparse bundle image of the files/folder then out that image in a Dropbox folder and you will be all set. Even if someone hacked your Dropbox account they could get that image, but they would not be able to open it and see your files.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/12/encrypt-folders-mac-os-x/

How many files and what size are we talking about? If it is a lot, you might be better off using something like Arq. You can configure it to backup only whatever folders you choose and the backup is encrypted before it leaves your machine. This way it would all be automated for you. You can configure Arq to only backup manually also.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure each individual file is less than 1G, although i might have to upload some of their folders to Dropbox in chunks instead of intact. (Or maybe not? i don't see anything a folder-size limit in Dropbox....)

Arq might be worth doing if it allows me to encrypt in bulk and on my own volition, without FileVaulting my whole computer or unwanted automated backups, for the one-time fee they charge. (Nice that it's not a subscription or contract deal.)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... with it that big it might be a bit slow and a pain to use Dropbox.

You can use Arq with or without Filevault. It does not matter either way. Arq will work with any folder. It just encrypts the data as it leaves your Mac and it is stored on the remote server in that encrypted format. Sounds like this would be an easier option for you if you can swing the one time cost.

I use Arq to backup my users folder and I have been very happy with it.

5. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

But if I have to use Arq in conjunction with Dropbox or a similar storage repository, the speed bottleneck would still remain on the Dropbox end, right?

But that would be okay for me, I think, because the big files I'm talking about are going to be one-time uploads, just for remote safekeeping. I don't plan on actually downloading them (except in disaster recovery), or uploading very many more of them, after the first big batch. Mostly I just work with text files.

6. flyingspur macrumors regular

flyingspur

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... you would still be reuploading that big file to DropBox over and over. But if it is just for archive purposes and you are not making changes very often, it would work okay. Just a matter I guess of how much you want to fuss around manually.