Cloud-based file sharing Panther <--> Mavericks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Rusty33, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest the best possible way to network an old iMac G3 (Panther) with a 'modern' MBP (Mavericks) via the Internet. Ideally, I'd love to use dropbox (or google drive), although 10.3 is not supported. Unfortunately the iMac does not support 10.4.

Some background: I use my G3 at work for the purpose of writing word documents...nothing more. I would like to be able to easily sync and access these documents from home - and then re-sync when finished. While my employer does allow the use of shared folders on our network - accessing these shared folders from home is extremely cumbersome...a simple cloud-based solution would be amazing!

Ideas? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm, I have an old tray loading iMac G3 that runs Tiger with less than 100mb of ram. I've installed Tiger on quite a few iBook G3s. What makes you think your G3 cannot run Tiger?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It lacks FireWire.

I suggest putting Tiger on that iMac. Other than a custom built web interface that is supported by very old browsers, there isn't any other way to do cloud based file sharing with Panther.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh, that's right! Forgot about that. There's a way to do it though. My tray-loading iMac lacks FW too and I got Tiger on it.

I took the drive out, put it in an external case, hooked it up to my G4 and made two partitions, one less than 8GB and the second for the rest. I then installed Tiger on the 8GB partition using the G4 and then put the drive back in the iMac.

Boots right up into Tiger. That said, if this is a work Mac then the OP is not likely to be able to do this.

That being the case, I know of no other solution other than sneakernet.

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I second sneakernet, but OP could easily get permission to upgrade the iMac to a 'better' OS.

6. Rusty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Thank you for your feedback - alas, unfortunately I'm not in a position to begin disassembling my computer at work. Perhaps I'll just have to rely on our network shared folders.

I wonder if I can somehow set up dropbox to sync with my network share folder...

PS - I am already an avid user of sneakernet! Unfortunately I forgot my USB drive at home yesterday - which has prompted this thread!

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Thats very possible, or you could use a FTP server :p.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Maybe a compromise?

It's not the best route, but it'd let you still use Dropbox.

Continue to use Dropbox as normal on your Mavericks Mac. On the iMac at work, access Dropbox.com via your browser. Navigate to your file and download to the iMac.

I don't think there's any browser dropbox.com won't work in. Certain features may not work, but you should still be able to download your file from the website.

If you need to transfer something from work to your Mav Mac then just use dropbox.com to upload your file and it will be in your Dropbox on the Mavericks Mac when you get home.

9. Rusty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I thought of this also...but unfortunately the Dropbox website isn't a fan of safari 1.3 and Firefox 2! I've yet to successfully login...although haven't given up hope yet!

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What about…

1. An alternative browser. Netscape Navigator, or an early version of iCab or Omniweb? Perhaps Opera 6 or 7?

2. Or the mobile version of Dropbox then?

https://www.dropbox.com/m

11. Rusty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Thanks for your advice enyoungren! Mobile dropbox almost works...but i'll certainly give netscape a try!

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's also Mozilla and early versions of Sea Monkey.

Both of course, Mozilla, so I don't know if they will be any better that FF. Netscape though will be Gecko so, who knows.

13. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Maybe use a modern computer that has Dropbox syncing a shared network folder?

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

He's got shared network folders, but those are a hassle for him. The Macs where he works are also just running Panther.

15. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Okay, I see.