Cloud document service

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zamboknee, Sep 3, 2015.

1. zamboknee macrumors regular

I have 2 coworkers on my job and we need to be able to share the same Pages/Word type of document. I'm aware of Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive but I need to be able to create a template that we use every day. 1 of us uses a PC, by the way.

Here's an example of the workflow I'm looking for.....
    I create a document from a template. They can see the changes and even add to it on their end. After the day's done I'd like to be able to save it (preferably to my laptop) and then be able to search it on my mac.​
    Is there a service that fulfills this? The

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You say you'd "like to be able to save it (preferably to my laptop) and then be able to search it on my mac." Does that mean you'd like to be able to view and edit the file offline?

Once the day is done and you've saved it to your Mac, do the co-workers need to be able to see it?

Do you have Pages and/or Word on your laptop?

3. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

No, can't do a NAS here.
    Yes, I'd like to be able to view and edit offline.
    Co-workers DON'T need to be able to see it? I just need them to search their contents in the future.
    I have BOTH Pages and Word.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

By "them" you mean the documents, I assume.

You can definitely do what you want with either Google or Outlook.com. You can share files/folders between multiple Google (or Outlook.com) accounts...either existing ones or new accounts just for this purpose. Create a "template" and make a new copy of it each day. Everyone can have the document open for editing at the same time. You could use a single account that everyone logs into but multiple accounts would be better for tracking who did what.

With Google Docs, you can download the completed file in several formats, including Word. Outlook.com uses Word Online so the docs would already be in Word which might be preferable for formatting consistency.

You'll have to give each a shot to see which, if either, you prefer and to see how the sharing works.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then you will have to rely on commerical services like Dropbox to do what you want to do.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

A free Dropbox account is the easiest and most reliable way to do this in my experience, unless you need the ability to collaborate on the document at the same time. Otherwise, Dropbox will just work and there is no 'saving' to your local machine. It just syncs there automatically.