Cloud iPhone Wifi coverage in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simonmiller, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Simonmiller macrumors member

Does anyone know if there are any plans re wifi / edge coverage in Northern Ireland for the iPhone? At the moment there are no The Cloud hot-spots showing in Belfast for example. O2 were couldn't answer the question, and an e-mail to The Cloud got this response...

"Thank you for contacting The Cloud customer services.

Unfortunately we don't have networks in Northern Ireland yet however
    we're continuously working on our expanding network and may acquired
    networks their in November/December.

Thank you for your enquiry hope that our improvements will meet your
    needs in the future."​

I am gonna get an iPhone on the 9th, but it seems a bit of a rip-off particularly here if we can't get unlimited wi-fi / EDGE support.

2. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

I have an iPhone in Belfast, and i get pretty good EDGE coverage in the city centre and out where i live (north belfast), so EDGE is pretty good.
    if you want out'n'about wifi and you're with BT you can get some BTopenzone minutes with your phone package, and thats widely available in the city centre.:cool:

3. Simonmiller thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks - good to know there is EDGE coverage in Belfast then!

I'm with Virgin Media at home, so hopefully The Cloud will sort something out over here wi-fi wise.

Can't wait til the 9th!

4. wavazey macrumors member

Simon,

I too am looking to buy an iphone when it comes out on the 9th. Im from Magherafelt and i was just wondering where you were going to buy your iphone from?

Have you had any news from the local shops?

Cheers

Pawan

5. bumfilter macrumors regular

I'm buying mine in the o2 shop in the City Centre then running into Starbucks to get it set up (bringing my MBP). There are two Carphone Warehouse's nearby as well, just in case.

Gonna have to remember to bring some plastic with me as in my day dreams I'm paying in cash!

6. wavazey macrumors member

Bumfilter,

What time are you thinking about heading down to the store?

I think there is actually three carphone warehouses close by. 2 close to corn market and one on royal avenue as well as the O2 store thats close to Corn Market.

Any info on how many handsets they will get in stock?

Cheers

Pawan

7. bumfilter macrumors regular

I'll probably be down as soon as they have them. I'm not sure if they are selling them at 9am or 6pm? I hope it's 9am. I took the day of work for it, so it better be 9am!

I'm hoping to get it in the o2 shop first, as they offer cash refunds whereas CPW doesn't. I probably won't need it but I'd rather a cash refund if it came to it.

8. wavazey macrumors member

Its def 6pm and not 9am i spoke to the manageress at the CPW in Ballymena and she confirmed that it is def 6pm.

I shoudn't think it will be that busy though!! I don't think too many will want to part with their hard earned cash!!

9. Simonmiller thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was just going to head down to the O2 shop beside Starbucks as well actually - just along from Cornmarket. Or maybe the Carphone Warehouse which used to be The Link seeing as that's en route!

Don't know what time I'll get down there as I think I might finish late at work that day, but I don't really think they'll run out. Or if they do I'll be raging!

10. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

The cloud NI thing is a bit of a bummer, although I notice there is ONE hotspot listed now -

Esporta - Belfast
    Mertoun Hall
    106 Belfast Road Hollywood
    Belfast
    BT5 4 GB

The EDGE thing is of more interest to me. I'm currently on T-Mobile and here in Lisburn they didnt have 3G so EDGE would actually be a decent upgrade. I read 30% coverage on launch day though so I'm sure it wont be in our area either :(

Anyone else buying one in Lisburn next Friday?

M.

11. Simonmiller thread starter macrumors member

Well hopefully they'll get some more hotspots in Northern Ireland - also McDonald's are going to be offering free wi-fi soon, so that's at least one place you can go!

There is a post on this forum somewhere that lists EDGE update dates for O2 - there were quite a lot of Belfast ones in there but I can't remember seeing Lisburn - maybe you could check that out....

12. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

Thanks Simon, I'll have a hunt around for that thread.

M.

13. wavazey macrumors member

Chaps,

I think as i am an existing O2 CPW customer that i'll just go to the CPW in Corn Market next to Pulse and opposite Starbucks. I just hope that they have sufficient stocks levels.

I would hate to drive down after work on friday afternoon only for there to be none left in stock.

But as i said before, i don't think too many people in Norn Iron would like to aprt £270 'just' for a phone.

Little do they know how good its going to be!!!!!!

Only a week to go boys!!!! I can't wait!!

Does anyone else feel like xmas is coming early this year? About 6 weeks early!!!!!!

P

14. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

Indeed! :)

I was i the US on hols this year, I was in a couple of Apple stores the day after the US launch. After playing for an hour or so I would have left them all my spending money there and then if I could have had one that worked in the UK :)

Some of my thoughts on the phone and how I'm looking forward to using to control stuff round the house on my site here...

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Announcements/iPhone-Smart-Home.html

M.

15. Ducky280 macrumors regular

Yup i'll be there at 5pm out side the Lisburn 02 Store :)

16. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

Yay! there's a least two in the Q then :) Wear a trilby hat and I'll know who you are ;)

17. Ducky280 macrumors regular

No hat needed - Just look for the guy drooling outside the o2 shop naked!!!

18. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

OK, now you're scaring me! :)

M.

19. si3000999 macrumors member

lisburn 02 store

planning on taking he day of uni to head down to lisburn to get an iphone but dont no what time i should go at. any ideas? is there going to be a great demand for the iphone in northern ireland? would i be better going to lisburn or belfast?

20. theronster macrumors newbie

I'm going to the Carphone Warehouse in Forestside.

I went in on Saturday to ask about times and stuff - the assistant seemed genuinely surprised that there was any interest at all.

Indoor queuing is the way forward!

21. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

Cant see there being a big Q but who knows. If it does get busy then theres a Car Phone Warehouse across the street too :)

M.

22. bumfilter macrumors regular

Is there a CPW in Lisburn? I think Belfast would probably be better as there are two CPW's plus an o2 store.

I'd like to go to the Lisburn one because it's closer and I can get home quicker but I'm not sure how many people will turn up and how many phones are in stock.

23. si3000999 macrumors member

cpwh

theres one directly opposite the o2 store so i would say u can run between the 2 and try and get your hands on an iphone. think i maybe head down bout 3 and hang round the town if there isnt a big Q i can pass the time in lisburn.

24. bumfilter macrumors regular

Yup, always plenty to do in the exciting city of Lisburn :p

25. msmyth macrumors member

I have mine already (and live in lisburn)

If im not up to anything might call down and see whats going on..... and let you have a play with the phone of course :D:D