Cloud Service for Backing Up Photos, Video Etc?....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 9OOYO, Apr 5, 2011.

1. 9OOYO macrumors regular

Hi everybody!
    My mobileme is about to expire and I'm thinking about using a different cloud service to back up my files. I have to say - MobileMe for email and calendar are good for me. I like it just b/c it's Apple and it does me well.

I can't understand why their storage, sharing etc....is so poorly implemented. Why no "Backup to MobileMe" for photographs and video?

I think I am going to be going for Dropbox just b/c the accesibility of files is so great on mobile devices and across platforms.

Please advise!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

DropBox is great. Very solid integration with OS X and support for multiple platforms, including iOS devices. I've been using the free version for months now and I've been very pleased. If I needed to backup more data to the cloud, I would pay for the extra storage.

3. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Another good service is SugarSync, which now has pretty good apps on the iPad and iPhone. Also has the advantage over dropbox of being able to select which folders you sync without relocating them into the dropbox folder.

4. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

So I can select my iPhoto library to sync up to this without making any changes on my Macbook? This sounds nice too!

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

You posted this in the MM section too. MM absolutely is integrated into iMovie and iPhoto and you can absolutely back up your photos with MM integration, either manually via the app or using the Apple back up tool that is part of MM.

Dropbox seems to be a great option too, especially for the free space, but your understanding of how MM works is not complete.

6. 9OOYO thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for making me aware of this. I will be looking more into mobile me as a solution for backing up from iPhoto.