Cloud-sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Huiu, May 14, 2015.

1. Huiu macrumors member

I am looking for what I think might be called cloud-sharing. I want to give other people access to some of my pictures etc. Until now I used DropBox. However, I am looking for a program that is "really" safe. Does anyone has experience with any such program that comes from Switzerland (where I live)?

2. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

What exactly is unsafe about Dropbox according to you?

3. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

I'd prefer not to go into discussion on why dropbox is assumed to be not as safe as it proclaims.

Suffice it to say that since I live in Switzerland I'd very much prefer a sharing-tool that is located in Switzerland as well. There are some like Filesync, Securesafe or Mydrive but since I don't know any of them I wondered if anyone here has any experience.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Use BitTorrent sync and your data is only on your own and shared machines.

TBH you don't sound terribly qualified to comment on what is safe and not. For instance just because you are in Switzerland and the cloud service you want is, that does not stop your data traversing outside Switzerland and/or being subject to intercept. Perhaps you should encrypt your data but what is so worrying about "your pictures'....?

5. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

Well, whatever then.. (I hate it when people do this)

But the fact that at least 2 of the alternatives you mentioned use either a .com or .net domain means that there's still an interaction with the USA if that's what you're paranoid about.

As simonsi said, the only way to be entirely clear of snooping is encrypt and keep it on local machines. Once it goes onto the internet, assume it'll end up/passthrough somewhere you have no control over

6. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

I did not claim to be qualified. I am terrible at using computers, I don't like them and I am a mere user who does not want to care for anything concerned with them. However, if I come across some newspaper articles who are written by people more qualified than me in this field (which is terribly easy) which tell that Dropbox is, for whatever reasons, unsafe, I just try to get an alternative. I am not interested in the discussion on why or why not these claims are true or not, I simply want to be on the safe side and the easiest thing for me to do so is not to use dropbox but another program which could be more safe than the one under suspicion.

Thank you for mentioning BitTorrent Sync. I think I'll fare with this one.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There will be internet articles speaking ill of almost everything on the internet, you should relax that Dropbox is one of the best cloud services out there. There are various encryption services that specifically work with Dropbox too.

BitTorrent Sync has some advantages in cost vs space but you are also effectively fully responsible for some aspects that Dropbox provides.

You should be interested in why the claims are and aren't true, they help you differentiate the quality of the various sources of information, without it you will no doubt bang from service to service as you hear "new" "information" about the one you are on....?