Cloud Storage Dilemma

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sparkle13, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Sparkle13 macrumors newbie

I've seen a few threads on cloud storage but they were over two years old. I need input as to users experience with cloud storage. I would like at least 1TB of space for images. I use Time Machine but I need something off-site for added protection.

I was told to try OneDrive but I have to buy Office 365, which I don't need or want. Seems silly. I looked at Amazon's new storage but it looks expensive and I can't seem to get a straight answer.

The easier it is to use, the better. I switched from a PC to a Mac recently and I'm overwhelmed as it is.

I'd really appreciate any input from cloud storage users on what their experience has been. Thanks!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You're going to spend a good amount to get that 1tb of storage. Are you looking for a backup solution or a place to store data so it's available anywhere? For backup you can look at Crashplan or Backblaze. I use Crashplan and have almost 2tb backed up to it. I have an unlimited family plan which costs me about $100 a year (multi-year plan savings). One of the advantages is versioning so I can restore files that have been changed for some time. Like time machine I can go back to get an earlier version.

DropBox will cost you $10 per month for 1tb of storage. I have about 5gb of free space on Dropbox which is plenty for my non-photo needs. I use Dropbox for access, not backup.

3. Sparkle13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I need it as a second back up. I don't need access anywhere else.

4. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Flickr provide 1TB of photo storage for free.

If you have dropbox, then 1TB will be expensive, but you could use that for everything but photos.
    Onedrive is also offering 100GB of additional storage for people with Dropbox.
    http://www.itproportal.com/2015/02/21/how-dropbox-users-100gb-free-onedrive-storage/
    So Onedrive could handle your overspill.

All these are Free.

As for a online backup service - backblaze I've been told is a good solution, but at a cost.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your cloud storage options are OneDrive, Dropbox, Copy, Google and Amazon. There are others I'm sure but those products provide similar features and services. There's also Apple's iCloud but that seems less featured as the others.

In all cases, you have to spend money to get a terabyte of storage. That terabyte allows you to access your files on multiple devices and computers. If you don't need that, then perhaps some sort of NAS or DAS storage device is better suited for you

----------

You posted this as I typed, ok, then what I posted doesn't fit your needs.

I'd say either an online backup service or an external drive (NAS or DAS)

7. priitv8, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

priitv8 macrumors 68020

Or Backblaze.
    For $35 you get unlimited storage for a single computer (that includes any attached external storage you might have!).
    The real difference between cloud-based backup solution vs Flickr is that on Flickr, you can also present your photos to anyone. On CP/BB you just get storage space. The only way to enjoy your files over there is to restore them from the cloud.
    And in general - here's where it does get interesting. You need to consider that it is easy to get your bytes up into the cloud, but getting them back down from there is another story.
    In case of disaster, should you need your data recovered quickly, you have realistically only the option to let them mail the hard disk with your content. All other options might be taking you even months to restore, depending on volume of data.

8. Sparkle13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Great advice everyone. It is a backup of a backup of my main database of images. That's it. No other data.

I want it offsite for added security. I've done the hauling to another location of CDs and then drives. No interest.

Flickr sounds quite doable possibly for my external TB of backup from what I'm hearing. I do need to access the images when I change them or add to them. Which isn't often.

0n an entirely separate note, if I have a Mac backed up to another external drive via Time Machine (not the drive above), should I also use iCloud to back that up in case my house burns down and I lose my computer and computer back up?

This is all sooooo confusing. Thanks again folks.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ It is a backup of a backup of my main database of images. That's it. No other data.
    I want it offsite for added security. I've done the hauling to another location of CDs and then drives. No interest. ]]

Do you currently have a safe deposit box?
    Do you work in a location where you have a locker, lockable desk, etc.?

The reason I ask is that a second, off-site PHYSICAL backup might be cheaper than a cloud backup, and actually easier to access after a disaster...

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If all you are saving is images (photos) and Video, then folks typically use Flickr and perhaps YouTube. There are other photos sharing warehouses, but Flickr currently seems to be the best. You set your photos for private access.

If you are backing up data, then thats different. Backing up 1TB in the cloud will be agonizingly slow.

11. Sparkle13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a fireproof safe and storage drives are small enough now, this is actually a great idea! I regret saying that I didn't think of this. So now that I have that established, any recommendations on brand and size because I'd like something i can grow into. I'm thinking a 2 TB. Thanks so much, everyone!!!