Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for that. I'm really worried about the whole java aspect of crash plan, so I just setup the trial for back blaze (native os x app). So far so good! It just works... I don't even see it show up in activity monitor. We'll see how my test restore goes. If that works well, fifty for the year is very reasonable and I'll just subscribe and forget about it.

Not to push you either way (I use Crashplan), but what is it about Java that concerns you? The web exploits we have seen recently relate to the Java web plugin and not the Java runtime you use for the Crashplan app. Just turn off Java in Safari and you are safe from the web Java exploits. That still allows you to tun Java applications.

A neighbor of mine is using BackBlaze and he seems happy with it.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Not to push you either way (I use Crashplan), but what is it about Java that concerns you? The web exploits we have seen recently relate to the Java web plugin and not the Java runtime you use for the Crashplan app. Just turn off Java in Safari and you are safe from the web Java exploits. That still allows you to tun Java applications.

A neighbor of mine is using BackBlaze and he seems happy with it.

I guess when I think of Java, I wrongly think of it like Flash. But you are right, disable it for the browser and be happy.

We currently only have the one Mac, but the intention is to get a second (mba would be for my wife's sole use) when/if they release a 13" rmbp. In that case, crashplan might be better, so I'll have a look at it before this trial is done.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I have about 300GB of home movies (including digitized VHS, 8mm film) plus another 50GB of photos.

I use a synology NAS (which has a crash plan linux plugin) plus an external HD mirror of the important stuff. Crashplan is great from a pc/mac, but it was way too sluggish on the NAS.

I ended up going with Amazon Glacier for about $5/mo for .5TB. I use a windows sync tool called fastglacier, but I think there are mac apps now. You pay more for glacier when you download the files. it is meant for archival.

Crashplan is great, but I don't leave a computer on 24/7. I make monthly zips of new pix and upload them to glacier along with new video files.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Want to know the best thing, buy a 500 GB HD and just put everything on it :) cheaper than anything else.

Exactly. I just purchased a 2 TB WD MyBook this weekend and started Time Machine on both my Macs. The over-wifi initial full backup was incredibly slow so i moved the Macs, one at a time, to be near the drive and hard wired the network connection and things went much faster. Now everything is backuped and the incremental backups are doing just fine over wife. Plus I can set-up the drive so I can have my own 'personal' cloud where I can access a designated folder over the internet but I don't want to do that for security reasons. I doubt that I have anything worth hacking but why risk it?

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
Dropbox is also a good option, but it isn't free imho.

I would go for the Apple 2TB Time Capsule option to save your iPhoto library. :)

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
The Cloud service Copy is very generous with its free storage and you can build up quite a sizable capacity by referring friends. I have a 120GB account now. Free. This is where I back up my entire iPhoto library, dynamically. That is, if I change my iPhoto library on my Mac, immediately the changes are uploaded to Copy's servers.

Steps to take:

1) Create an iPhoto Library Alias.
2) Put that Alias in your Copy Folder that resides in your Finder.

That's it. From then on, whenever you change the contents of your iPhoto library, the changes are uploaded to Copy's servers and your Copy Folder has a completely up to date version of your entire iPhoto Library.

I assume this technique would work with other Cloud services. I use Copy since I have the most space in that account and my iPhoto Library is quite large…almost 80GB and growing. :)

Hope this helps some of you.

Mr. Luigi

brightjc@me.com

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
UK
USB Drive

I also wanted a seperate back up in case of theft of my iMac and back up drive(s). The solution I came up with is a USB drive. Every now and again after adding photos to my Aperture library I copy the library file to a 128GB USB thumb drive (£~£70 from Amazon). I copy the whole library file from the pictures folder and I select replace so there's only ever one copy on the back up thumb drive.
I also copy my iFinance archive and I also have both my & my wife's entire music library on it!!!
I keep this drive in my trouser pocket at all times so that if I'm out and my house burns down or (more likely) I get burgled I have the essentials backed up.
All my other stuff - apps, movies, TV shows and the actual iMac and external drives can be replaced but photos are precious and can't be ripped off my iPad/iPhone. Otherwise I would only have whatever photos that are on photo stream and the ones that are in my camera rolls on my iPhone and iPad.
It can be a bit of a chore but then I don't take that many photographs - I still have under a thousand but I'm working on it - but I also don't want to lose all my Faces data and project organisation and this method saves too.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Thinking of using iDrive to back up my iPhoto library. Does it work well? How do you backup just iPhoto? Does it sync when new photos are added, or do you have to do it manually?

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
if you can wait a bit i'd just use the new iCloud storage solution for photos, coming with iOS8/Yosemite in fall. ;) 99ct for 20gb, $3,99 for 200gb.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
if you can wait a bit i'd just use the new iCloud storage solution for photos, coming with iOS8/Yosemite in fall. ;) 99ct for 20gb, $3,99 for 200gb.

Is this a yearly (or monthly) fee? All I really care about is pictures/videos and maybe music.

I signed up for iDrive today (300GB for $25 for the first year).

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I signed up for iDrive today (300GB for $25 for the first year).

I just looked at that (never heard of it before I read your post) and the pricing is very competitive.

I'm going to hold on until icloud is updated, as I currently use backblaze but more competition is a great thing for driving prices down.

The thought of a highly integrated solution from apple is very appealing. Can't wait to see how well it works (or not)

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Yes, that would be great. I started iDrive yesterday just for pics/videos/music and it's been going since yesterday afternoon...
Hopefully after the first backup it won't take as long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.