Cloud Storage for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Apr 29, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

From what I understand how dropbox and google drive work, you store files locally on your hard drive and that gets synced to a server.

However, I'm looking for something that saves files in the Cloud rather than locally. What options are there?

2. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Bitcasa acts as an "external cloud drive" without the need for local copies (except for cached content):
    https://www.bitcasa.com

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

4. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

Pogoplug sets up a drive mapped in the cloud. 5 dollars a month for unlimited storage.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you have a Synology NAS they have CloudSync for Win, Mac, iOS & Android. Free.

6. Bear macrumors G3

I can't answer your question, but I will point out one important detail - you don't want your only copy of files to be on the cloud service unless you don't care that you might temporarily or permanently lose access to them.

How well is the cloud service protected for power outages and partial communications outages? What about disk failures? Does the site maintain backups that you can request a restore from a given time? How much would that cost? Do they guarantee they won't lose your files? Do they guarantee they will remain in business. Yes this last one is a real concern.

Am I saying not to use a cloud service? No. What I'm saying is make sure your data is protected adequately

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

AFAIK google drive doesn't function this way unless you download the software, I currently use it like this, nothing on my drive is actually on my hard drive. (Note - I do not recommend running like this, for me it's a pretty unique work situation, as others have said the risk of data loss of not being able to access said data is pretty high)