Cloud storage,ICloud

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ron4735, Mar 1, 2017.

1. ron4735 macrumors newbie

I am now backing up my MacBook Air 500 Gb SSID hard drive to a 2T TimeCapsule plus a USB-connected 1T external hard drive. I want to use a commercial "storage" system for a 3rd way to backup my Mac hard drive. I am considering "iDrive". Does anyone use this system and, if not, which would be preferable? I hope this thread is in the right place. Thanks in advance!

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Just to be clear... you currently have 500GB on your SSID on a MBA.
    Either way, definitely use iCloud to back you device up and stop wasting time with the local backups.

House fires, hurricanes, theft, ect takes the device and the local backup way more often than the rare chance of SSD failure. In the event of a catastrophe, purchasing a new mac and logging in with your AppleID and having everything come back is amazing, magical even. Freaking out about finding your portable drive to take with you during an emergency is not a fun exercise.

Thinking about this in terms of loss vs effort: 1T iCloud is about $120US / year... if the data is THAT important $120 is an insignificant amount for peace of mind. If you are only currently needing to backup about 200G then you can get it for about half. A 1T portable ( which can be easily lost, damaged, stolen ) cost about $60US.

3. ron4735 thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    Thanks! Makes perfect sense. I appreciate your comments.