Cloud storage that mirrors iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Nov 4, 2014.

1. hikeNM, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Ever since the demise of MobileMe I've really been waiting for a service that mirrors my iPhoto library, in the sense that when I set down at any computer I can log in and see my iPhoto library like it is on my home computer.

The new iCould photo library looks promising, but I'd have to pay a bit per month since my library is ~150 GB.

Then I saw that Amazon has entered the market and are offering unlimited photo space for Prime members, which I am one. Does anybody know if the Amazon service will mirror my iPhoto library?

Thanks.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im in the same boat. I too would like to know of a solution without a monthly fee.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

You're unlikely to find much without a fee, except for relatively small storage amounts.

You can check Trunx, though. They were offering unlimited space but the viewing options are limited. Works well with iOS stuff though. Essentially it's backup of what photos you take with your phone, or upload from your Mac. Then you can download to phone.

I'd consider Amazon. I like Dropbox as well. Both are proven reliable cloud companies; I've been using Amazon S3 for a long time. The benefit of Amazon is that there are graduated levels of storage; Dropbox is less of a bargain unless you need that 1TB. But the Amazon free storage for Prime members is apparently for photos only.

You asked, though, about "mirroring." Which implies you'd want some structure, ease of upload, sharing, etc. I still think the best all around place for photos is the old reliable Flickr. It is a sharing site, but you can use it for backup as well, just don't make those photos public. At $45 for two years for unlimited use it's a pretty good deal. And the real benefit is that just about every photo app or application will upload to it. And it can handle high res photos.

4. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm coming to realize that's probably the best bet unless the new iCloud photo beta is somehow better at it than Flickr. Apple's track record with iCloud isn't the best though.