Cloud style photo backup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tl01, May 9, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have been using Picasa to back up my photos. Lately, it has been so buggy and I'd like to switch to a different service. Can anyone recommend a good service for photo backup? I'd like something with a batch upload so I can upload a bunch at a time. Currently I have about 80GB of space on Picasa.

Thanks!

eta.. what do you all think of smugmug?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Just a matter of cost; there are tons of cloud storage places vying for your business.

I like Amazon S3 because you only pay for what you need. But I've been using SpiderOak as well and like the integration and syncing.

Smugmug is more about displaying and sharing, like Flickr and Photobucket and whatnot. Is that what you want? because that's a lot more than just backup.

Rob

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

It does seem to be for displaying but apparently you can keep an unlimited number of full size images and HD videos too. I guess there are ways to restore photos to my computer if I ever have an issue. That's the most important part... But the displaying part seems nice too.

4. sujit1779 macrumors newbie

Smugmug is cool

Hi,
    Smugmug is really a nice place to backup your pics to. If only backup is in your mind, then I think you can try dropbox, or similar backup services because so image services modify your picture before storing at your end.

I personally prefer Smugmug, and if you are looking to backup GB's of pics with no hassle and no duplicates then I will recommend a lovely app PicBackMan www.picbackman.com , it can backup to flickr, picasa, smugmug, skydrive, dropbox, box, facebook with little or no human interventation. Give it a try you will like it.

Thanks.