Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
For those who care about security, as well as having a faster internet, check out Cloudfare's new iOS app 1.1.1.1.

You also might want to consider using Cloudfare on your Mac as well. The more one can cut out the ISP from knowing what you are doing, as well as selling your online data, the better, in my opinion.
I’ve been using it on my iPad and it’s working real well. Webpages loading nicely. Internet speeds are solid. I like that you don’t have to mess around with manually adding the DNS servers and can just turn it off if you want to use your ISPs DNS servers for whatever reason.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Are there some sites that don't play well with this App?

Will carriers know what you are doing and mess with your internet connection?

Rookie questions, I know

I read thru some of the reviews and came away with those impressions, to some extent anyway---

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Are there some sites that don't play well with this App?

Will carriers know what you are doing and mess with your internet connection?

Rookie questions, I know

I read thru some of the reviews and came away with those impressions, to some extent anyway---
Your provider won't know. Some specific sites may not work well with Cloudfare, although I haven't run across any yet.

A lot of heavy traffic internet sites use Cloudfare to prevent DDoS attacks etc.

Reactions: rugmankc

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
DL'd it and Safari does seem faster.

This will not effect things like Apple Pay will it?

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
It shouldn't. I use Apple Pay while running a VPN and haven't had any problems with Apple Pay.

Thanks. It is just that I tried AP at Kohl’s and it didn’t work. But, I think you have to use their store card not a credit card that I use. I thought they took AP. But, it has been a long time since I shopped Kohl’s.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks. It is just that I tried AP at Kohl’s and it didn’t work. But, I think you have to use their store card not a credit card that I use. I thought they took AP. But, it has been a long time since I shopped Kohl’s.
If you use a Mac, you should think about changing your default DNS servers to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 respectively.

Reactions: rugmankc and chabig

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I have a rMBP. Can’t you put CloudFare on a Mac too and have it change them? I was gonna trial it in my iPhone then put it it on my Mac.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
@BasicGreatGuy,

How’s the app working for you thus far?

Seems to be working real well here. Just curious about your thoughts.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
@BasicGreatGuy,

How’s the app working for you thus far?

Seems to be working real well here. Just curious about your thoughts.
I haven’t had any problems thus far. In fact, I have noticed a slight increase in my bidirectional speed a lot of the time. My ultimate satisfaction is being more secure away from the prying eyes of my providers, Google, and the government, as I deal with very sensitive information.

On my iMac, I am locked down very tight. It is very dark in my universe and I like it that way. I haven’t seen any speed increase on the iMac, as I have fiber internet already with 1Gb up and down.

I will continue to keep a close eye on usage in and out of the tunnel.

I am glad it has finally arrived for iOS. It was a long wait.

Reactions: scjr and rugmankc

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I haven’t had any problems thus far. In fact, I have noticed a slight increase in my bidirectional speed a lot of the time. My ultimate satisfaction is being more secure away from the prying eyes of my providers, Google, and the government, as I deal with very sensitive information.

On my iMac, I am locked down very tight. It is very dark in my universe and I like it that way. I haven’t seen any speed increase on the iMac, as I have fiber internet already with 1Gb up and down.

I will continue to keep a close eye on usage in and out of the tunnel.

I am glad it has finally arrived for iOS. It was a long wait.
Great info and feedback. Have you noticed any additional battery drain using the app?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Does using VPN affect the battery? One of the news reporting this mentioned so but without giving any details on why.
With VPN aren't you just routing your traffic through VPN provider's servers instead of your ISP which happens on the server side and if it's not on device the why should it affect the battery?
Cloudfare is DNS not a VPN, though it shows in the status bar as VPN.
Also, how does changing DNS server from your ISP to Cloudfare improves internet speed? Aren't ISP's servers supposed to be fast as well and if any difference it could be in mili-seconds?

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
So advantages over OpenDNS would just be speed (maybe)?
[doublepost=1542307636][/doublepost]
This is a free service what is Cloudflare getting from us?

Looks to be a no-frills trial of their services. Businesses can try it, if they like it / see performance gains then they can pay money for the pay services and get more security, etc.

Reactions: Jt69yupper

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I am also using a VPN (99% of the time) on top of Cloudfare, and haven’t experienced any extra battery drain.
I’m now using the app, with DNS over HTTPS enabled. I also have Clouflare DNS and DNSSEC set up in my router. They are working well together.

You can test here, to check if 1.1.1.1 DNS and DoH Or DoT Is working: https://cloudflare-dns.com/help/

Debug Information
Connected to 1.1.1.1 Yes
Using DNS over HTTPS (DoH) Yes
Using DNS over TLS (DoT) No
AS Name Cloudflare

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I’m now using the app, with DNS over HTTPS enabled. I also have Clouflare DNS and DNSSEC set up in my router. They are working well together.

You can test here, to check if 1.1.1.1 DNS and DoH Or DoT Is working: https://cloudflare-dns.com/help/
Glad to see it is working well for you. I hope more people make use of the service. And at the very least, educate themselves on internet security.

Reactions: scjr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.