clown emoji becomes a question mark

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by johannnn, Jan 14, 2017.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

gen0 watch with watchOS 3.1, received an iMessage with just clown emojis, and on my iPhone (iOS 10.2) they show up fine, but on the watch they arrived as two boxed question marks.

What's up with that? When I check for updates for the watch there is none.

2. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

I just checked my series 1 that is up to date, it does the same thing yours does.

3. jakerichva Suspended

All that means is that watchOS 3.1 doesn't have the emojis that have been added to iOS 10.2. Maybe an update down the road for watchOS will catch up.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Could be as simple as the Apple Watch saying ?? WTF? Why are you using that creepy clown emoji ??

5. klymr macrumors 65816

Just a thought, but were those emoji included in the 3.1.1 update that few people were able to install before it was pulled? That could be why they don't show up.

6. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Ok so it's not just my watch.

I must admit I think it's very amateurish to not support new emojis on all platforms at the same time. How hard is it to publish a .01 watch update?

7. klymr macrumors 65816

Pretty hard, apparently. The 3.1.1 update made my Apple Watch useless. Had to have it replaced. Same thing happened to many others, so Apple pulled the update.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The new clown emoji appears on my watch, but I am running the ill-fated 3.1.1 software. Oh well, there's got to be some perks apart from the horrendous battery drain...

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

As has been stated by others you have those question marks because of the missing and pulled watchOS 3.1.1 update. There are new betas for everything every other week but Apple doesn't seem to be able to release a fixed x.x.1 update. It's been weeks now. Embarrassing tbh.