Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Clubhouse, the online audio app that this year became a social sensation, is rolling out spatial audio support for iOS users.

The company announced the feature on Sunday in a tweet, in which it offered a brief demo and explained that spatial audio is "like surround sound, but with your own headphones."

In the example, individual speakers on a Clubhouse call can be heard as if their voices are in separate locations within a three-dimensional space around the listener, making it seem like everyone is situated in different places in the same a room. Clubhouse explained that users won't hear spatial audio when they're on stage, only when they're in the audience. Also, Android support is coming soon.

To be clear, this isn't Apple's version of spatial audio, which includes head tracking to make it sound like the sound is coming from your iPhone or iPad, but it shows just how much spatial audio has caught on since Apple began touting the concept.

Powered by ‌AirPods Pro‌ or Max and based on Dolby Atmos, Apple's implementation uses the gyroscope and accelerometer in the ‌headphones‌ and the iOS device to track the motion of your head and your ‌device's position, then compares the motion data, and remaps the sound field so that it stays anchored to your device even as your head moves.
With iOS 15 set to launch next month, Apple plans to add spatial audio to FaceTime calls. Like the Clubhouse version, adding spatial audio will make it feel like you're sitting in the same room as the person you're speaking to, and in group calls, friends will sound spread out in the room.

Article Link: Clubhouse Rolls Out Spatial Audio to iOS Users

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
I haven't checked out Clubhouse, but I'm pretty psyched to see Spatial Audio roll out in more applications. I've used it only to watch a few videos (unfortunately only on iOS, for now) but the effect is really quite amazing and I could defintely see it helping make audio more lifelike for group calls and such.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
This seems like gimmick…

I took a sound design for video/broadcast class in college and I remember one of the key principals being that you shouldn’t pan dialogue much unless an effect is more critical than the content. I remember the professor demonstrating for us with a clip of three people at a table talking. The person in the middle was centered, the person on the left panned about 50% to the left, the person on the right panned 50% to the right. When listened to without the image, It was super disorientating and actually made it more difficult to follow the conversation because there was no visual cues to help your brain make sense of what voice was coming from where. Even with the image, it was easier to focus when the voices were panned no more than 10-15%. For critical content you want the listener to be able to follow and clearly understand, you always want dialogue/voice front and center…

Reactions: wilderkun

bebarhood

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
I deleted that app a long time ago. Never really got into it. It's a good thing that I deleted it long before the privacy scandal.

leonremi

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
Clubhouse….the place where white cis-gendered trust fund tech bros wannabe cry babies come to gleefully spit in each other mouths….NOW WITH SPATIAL AUDIO!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.