Clueless needs help setting up airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InvalidUserID, Sep 7, 2008.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Hello all,

First off, I just purchased my macbook pro last week and am still getting used to the whole Mac world after having PCs my entire life. Today, I picked up a airport extreme base station to replace my old 2wire gateway. I was told that the extreme needed a DSL modem to work and I just so happend to have kept my old Speedstream 5360 ADSL modem.

This is where I'm totally lost. I have no idea how to set the network up or anything. To help paint a picture, my current set up is this: a Dell desktop connected to the 2wire via an ethernet cable. The 2wire has the DSL phone line in it along with the power cord. Also in the house are two other laptops that connect via wifi. The 2wire was setup by my friend who now lives in another state and I don't know anyone else who is very tech savvy.

So if I understand correctly, the way the new setup would be: DSL phone line into the speedstream, an ethernet cable from speedstream to the WAN port on extreme and then an ethernet cable from extreme to Dell?

Beyond that, I'm totally lost as to what I need to configure on the Dell computer or on the laptops. I tried for an hour or so but can't seem to get the hang of it. PPPoE, bridged, DH-something...all Greek to me. If it helps, I'm using AT&T/SBC.

Any help? Thanks!

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think its all in the AirPort manual, but anyway...

Connect your phone line to your modem. Ethernet cable from modem to WAN port on APExtreme. Ethernet from any of LAN ports on APEXtreme to your Dell.

Now open AirPort Utility on your Mac. Your extreme should appear on the left side, if it doesn't reset the Extreme. The configure it the way you want from AirPort Utility.

No need to setup anything on computers, just join the wifi network or connect the cable and start using the network.

Hope this helps :)