Clueless on how to use DVD footage to make a music video with iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Khryz, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Okay, so here's the deal. I just bought this middle-level white Macbook close to 2 weeks ago and I'm still learning. On my PC, I used to like taking footage from movies or whatever and editing the clips so I can make a music video with Windows Movie Maker.

From what I see iMovie is the same thing but the problem is getting the footage to make the video. Instead of downloading a movie illegally and cutting it up to make a video, isn't there a possibility of using a DVD you have at home to upload it somehow so that I can use it's scenes to make a movie? Is that possible?

So basically I'm asking how to get DVD content onto the computer so I can use that through iMovie. I'm new to macs, and not computer savvy at all so not sure if you have to download or buy a program, or if there's a process - either way I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction. Thank you!!!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

uh... that's still illegal.

it doesn't matter if you download it or rip it off of a disc, you are still stealing the footage.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I paid for it .. ? So any edited music video on youtube is illegal? I'm doing it for fun not for any gain.

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

To rip a dvd use mactheripper. How to get it into imovie after that I couldnt tell you cause I dont know.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you bought a disc, yes. but you don't own the footage on it... you can't use somebody else's footage to make your video unless you have permission. don't be another vanilla ice.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

You paid for the right to view it in a private setting (personal use). You did not pay for synchronization rights or perfomrnace rights or mechanical rights nor did you pay royalities of any sort. If you had, you wouldn't be asking such a basic question. Ask any qualified intellectual rights attorney for more info.

-DH

PERSONAL DISCLAIMERS: Not intended as legal, medical or financial advice. Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. No purchase necessary to win. Open to legal U.S. residents 18 years of age or older. Not responsible for items left in vehicle. Dealer participation may affect actual cost. Rebates must be postmarked by 12/31/06. Any reproduction or rebroadcast without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball is strictly prohibited. Cash value 1/1000 of one cent. Any resemblance to any person living or deceased is coincidental. Actual retail price may vary. Shake well before use. Keep frozen until ready to serve. Contents under pressure. Caution: May be hot. Has been known to cause birth defects in laboratory animals. Not to be taken internally. Should not be used by pregnant women or nursing mothers. Avoid direct contact with eyes and skin. If rash develops discontinue use. Keep hands and feet inside railing at all times. In case of ingestion induce vomiting. All prices MSRP, tax, tags and destination charges extra. Certain blackout periods may apply. Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt this at home. No clients were harmed in the making of this post. This disclaimer was copied and modified without permission. Your mileage may vary. Member FDIC. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Actual post may vary from original thought. ;-)

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes sense. So every edited video on youtube that included pictures off google or videos of movies or shows is illegal? Youtube seems to be fine with that yet unedited videos will get banned.

Secondly, I do not plan on putting my videos on youtube, just for personal viewing or showing friends. Either way, I take it a simple DVD ripper to put the movies on the computer will allow me to upload them in iMovie.

8. -DH macrumors 65816

Both YouTube and Google Video (and others) are currently in litigation over the use of copyright protected material. And while some may see the use you intend as "fair use," there are others (typically attorneys for the motion picture and television industry) that see it as nothing less than copyright infringement. Remember the lawsuits initiated by the RIAA against people downloading music for their own use?

In the strictest sense of the law, it is a violation of copyright laws. Will you ever get in trouble for it? Probably not. So that leaves it as your personal moral decision.

-DH