Clues..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MykeHamilton, Oct 7, 2008.

1. MykeHamilton macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just received an eMail from Apple titled "New gear for the school year". Usually when Apple send out these eMails for students, they include the MacBook range, as amoungst students, the entry level MacBooks are most popular. (According to someone at the Apple store told me today.) Though in this, they've only included the iMac? Perhaps they're waiting to promote the newer MacBooks when they're released? Maybe proof for release in the next week or so? Maybe not.

Also, off topic, Apple shares have gone from 88.1 to 101.2 today, slowly creeping back up - rumors of new notebooks pushing it up?

Hope it's the right section.

:) Myke.

[​IMG]

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

At least as far as my personal opinion goes, I'm pretty sure Apple will unwrap something on the 14th of October, so I could easily imagine them no longer "recommending" the current gen macbooks to students starting school or university.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

That's actually very interesting...they always promote Macbooks for students...I think you hit it dead on there.

4. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Odd...

If it's true that they usually try to sell off as many MacBooks as possible during Back To School promotion and then introduce the new ones (makes perfect sense to me), it'd mean they either have really few (comparatively of course) of them left in stock, or they aren't releasing new MacBooks this year after all.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Lets pretend for a minute that the new macbooks will be released on the 14th... the students buying the current macbooks just a week before they come out would feel a tad bull*****ted... I'm sure not few of them would be pissed off having gotten recommended a macbook that's a week away from being upgraded. A fair amount of them may pay the 10% re-stocking fee and exchange it for a new macbook, as is their right within a 14 day time period. From that perspective, I can see why they wouldn't be so fast to offer people the current macbook anymore, though you have a fair point, and at this stage, it's all just speculation.

Off topic, but Warsaw's a beautiful city, I have quite a lot of good friends from Poland.

6. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

7. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

They've released new MacBooks in November both in 2006 and 2007... My friend got one only a few weeks too early last year, she wasn't eligible for a cheaper upgrade to Leopard also. Inevitably, it must happen to someone whenever there's an upgrade, I guess. I think many people were in similar situation. Although I agree that promotion until 31st might make November 18th earliest possible Tuesday, if they consider massive returns probable. Still I think the restocking fee would discourage many students from doing it - they'd effectively have to pay 10% more and get no promotion. Also you can use education discount only once a year, I'm not sure at all if returning a product makes you eligible for it again in the same year, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

Thanks! I'm not stating my opinion since I'm obviously biased, but it's really good to hear. :)

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I can see where you're coming from, you have a fair point there. I guess now it's all just stick it out and wait and see :)

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That has to be the first time I ever saw an iMac in an Apple Back-to-School promo.

10. kabunaru Guest

The new Macs are coming on October 14th.
    99% sure.

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

that is weird. very weird actually. i havent ever seen the imac instead of a macbook in a while.

however. why, if they are not going to push the macbook, would they send out the email at all?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe they just couldn't fit a MacBook on the email or they want to sell their iMacs ('cause they cost more).

13. McKade macrumors newbie

?

It has been 8 months since the Macbook has been updated. I know that October 14th is going to reveal new Aluminum Macbooks! 6 months is the average time an update occurs with the Macbook. Now is the time to release them! Right in time for the Holidays. (and my birthday):)

{:apple: Ipod touch 2g}

14. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Updates are the only plausible reason i can think of for apple not to include the macbook in a back to school promo - they must be easily the most popular computer for students. They didn't even mention the macbook in the description to the right of the image!
    Nice find, OP!

15. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

I got the exact same mail here in Belgium (but translated to Dutch)

The back to school promo's here (and in many other countries in Europe) end oktober 31.

I'm starting to think we aren't going to see any new stuff from apple before november :(

16. Minder Thr33 macrumors newbie

The latest Best Buy (Canada) flyer for the week only has the imac and no Macbook/MBP. They used to have it every week, so this is the first week I've noticed it.

But funny enough, Futureshop (another big Canadian electronic store owned by Best Buy) does have Macbooks/MBP advertised in their flyer

17. mac-wannabe macrumors newbie

This is my first post to this forum (actually to any forum lol). i've been waiting for the macbook revision for a while now. to be honest, i don't want to rain on the parade but... i don't think the macbook revision is coming out on the 14th (hopefully i'm wrong). reason:

1. no event setup for the 14th yet, going from plastic to alluminum and redesigning it to be thinner than the current macbook IS a BIG DEAL. i can't see why they wouldn't want to hold an event for that.

2. most companies when they are about to release new products try to dump their own ones through sales. apple is just another company that wants to make money. not having the macbook as part of that "sales" is not encouraging.

18. polaris20 macrumors 68020

From what I recall, Apple really doesn't decrease product price prior to new models coming out.

19. TC03 macrumors 65816

I reckon this is a good clue! It has to be October 14th or perhaps 21st, I'm pretty sure. I just clicked around a few webshops, and most Macbooks are out of stock. Yeah, 1+1 is still 2, imo. Well, 3 really when taking the nVidia stuff into account.

20. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

1. theres never been a MB event.
    2. they have had a sale (BTS free ipod stuff), but they don't discount prices.

21. TC03 macrumors 65816

You can't argue there has never been a Macbook event. The Macbook was announced during the annual keynote, no big changes or updates have been made ever since, so there was no need for any MB event or what-so-ever.. I think it is highly unlikely we won't see Steve Jobs introduce this 'revolutionairy' notebook in person.