Clump of dead pixels appeared on my screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sk8mash, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Today randomly a clump of dead pixels appeared in the middle of my screen. I just check the serial number on Apple and it says it is covered until March next year. The thing is, I didn't originally buy the iPhone, bought it of eBay a while ago, and have since unlocked it. It has never had an O2 sim.

What repair options would Apple give me? Im guessing before I sent it in, I would have to return it to a fully unlocked state?

Thanks

2. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

3. petah macrumors newbie

try going on google in iphone's safari and google "iphone stuck pixels"...some websites would flash different colors randomly to help u get those pixels unstucked

by the way, are u sure the pixels are dead? or just stucked?

dead pixel = it wont light up
    stuck pixel = it keeps on showing one color constantly...like red

i had a stuck pixel a while back and did what i suggested above. The stuck pixel then disappeared and have not come back since

4. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Im not sure if they are definitely dead, they are a kind of grey color. The clump is getting bigger...I woke up this morning and it has extended to a whole line across my screen...I dont think one of those flashing videos is going to fix this one :(

5. ottomated macrumors newbie

did you drop it?
    the warranty transfers with the product. dont tell them you unlocked it. if its software unlock, restore, and then send it away! hoooray.

6. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

No I dint drop it...it seems really random that I should wake up in the morning and it be 10x worse! Probably a loose connection...anyways, time to give Apple a call....also noticed a few flashing red and green pixels...hmmm

Thanks for the reply :)

7. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Ok just phoned Apple and there gonna repair it for me :)

Will an iTunes restore make it so they can't tell it has ever been unlocked?

8. Kaushal macrumors member

I had the exact same problem. I had bought the 1st gen iphone from USA and had jailbroken it. I had never dropped the phone......and it was on my bed....and when i picked it up to send a sms......i saw about 20 - 30 dead pixels on the screen. I used the remove stuck pixel software also......but no help :(

As I am now in India, so i could not give it back to apple.:rolleyes:

I took it to a local repair shop and he told me that the screen is damaged, and those pixels cant be repaired... :(

He gave an estimate of about INR 9000 which is about US$ 200 to repair it.

So I sold it off to another store for about US$ 200 and bought myself an iphone 3G in India.

9. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Could you see black lines on your screen when the phone is turned off? Do dead pixels show up when the phone is off?