Clumsy wife makes strong case for Apple Care+ for Apple Watch

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Southern California
So after staying up to put in an Apple Watch pre-order 8 minutes after order launch, waiting 2 months for back order to fill, ship and deliver, the clumsy wife accidentally drops her watch from about 3 feet onto the hard travertine tile floor. She is the exemplary example of why Apple Care+ for the Apple Watch is a must have. I probably will need to get an Apple watch enclosure/case for her as well, after I get her repair/replacement unit. Remember that sapphire is very scratch resistant, but clearly not clumsy or shatter resistant!

This is my exact sentiment when I saw it happen ->

Here is the sad photos to share:

So here is my meme of the watch, since a few have dubbed the SB SS Apple Watch as the Vader watch:

Reactions: samiznaetekto

CharlesShaw

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2015
Ouch! So sorry that happened. Glad you had Apple Care and here's hoping the replacement arrives quickly. Thanks for reminding us why we need to be mindful of where the watch would fall if we fumbled while putting it on or changing the band.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
:eek:Ooww. Agree that's painful to look at! SSB with the link bracelet too, really nice watch. If I were her I would have been afraid to show you. And yes, while sapphire is highly scratch resistant it can be shattered. Looks like it to the hit on the corner. Sure the folks at Apple Care will put humpty dumpty back together again, leaving you with what one more incident? Hubby bought Apple Care for my watch, but I'm hoping I don't need to show him I need it. I'm sure I would feel worse about it than him.

Reactions: The Doctor11

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I feel ya, I got a scratch across the screen on mine :(. But it's no where near as bad as your wife's watch. Luckly you have Apple Care+.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
image.jpg
Been there, done that (thanks to an improperly recommended leather loop band which has since been returned for refund)

Band kept coming unattached which allowed watch to drop off wrist. This happened the one time I didn't catch it as it fell

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: samiznaetekto

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Follow this golden rule and you won't need AC+ (especially in conjunction with extended warranty that many credit cards provide in the 2nd year of ownership):

If it's not on your wrist, it's on the charging stand and if it's not on the charging stand, it's on your wrist.
In my case, my band wouldn't keep it on my wrist

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
Follow this golden rule and you won't need AC+ (especially in conjunction with extended warranty that many credit cards provide in the 2nd year of ownership):

If it's not on your wrist, it's on the charging stand and if it's not on the charging stand, it's on your wrist.
Here we go again. Not everyone is going to follow this "rule". We already know you don't like AC+.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
In my case, my band wouldn't keep it on my wrist
True. I'm talking about normal circumstances where you leave the watch lying around in random places, where it's as prone to getting dropped as iPhones. That golden rule is similar to iPhone's "If it's not in your hand, it's in your pocket and if it's not in your pocket, it's in your hand."

Has it been less than 90 days? Many credit cards provide a 90-day accidental damage protection, in which case you can file a claim (making AC+ unnecessary or possibly to get reimbursed the $79 deductible if you already have AC+).

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
True. I'm talking about normal circumstances where you leave the watch lying around in random places, where it's as prone to getting dropped as iPhones. That golden rule is similar to iPhone's "If it's not in your hand, it's in your pocket and if it's not in your pocket, it's in your hand."

Has it been less than 90 days? Many credit cards provide a 90-day accidental damage protection, in which case you can file a claim (making AC+ unnecessary or possibly to get reimbursed the $79 deductible if you already have AC+).
It's not like people are just going to stay out in their houses all day. I know someone who had their phone in their pocket and it slid out and hit the concrete and shattered. Got a replacement for $79 on AC+ otherwise it would've cost $750 cause he was on NEXT.

Reactions: cjking2007

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's not like people are just going to stay out in their houses all day. I know someone who had their phone in their pocket and it slid out and hit the concrete and shattered. Got a replacement for $79 on AC+ otherwise it would've cost $750 cause he was on NEXT.
My point is you vastly minimize the type of damage in the OP by following the golden rule. After all, how can you drop it if it's tethered to the wrist?

He/she would have paid the much cheaper out of warranty replacement cost, not the full $750.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
My point is you vastly minimize the type of damage in the OP by following the golden rule. After all, how can you drop it if it's tethered to the wrist?

He/she would have paid the much cheaper out of warranty replacement cost, not the full $750.
Uhm it's not bulletproof or waterproof. What if you're out and want to go into deep waters? You have to take it off... Also, who in their right mind would want to pay the out of warranty replacement when they don't have to? What would you rather pay, $229 or $69?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Uhm it's not bulletproof or waterproof. What if you're out and want to go into deep waters? You have to take it off... Also, who in their right mind would want to pay the out of warranty replacement when they don't have to? What would you rather pay, $229 or $69?
That's why I stick to my golden rule and leave the watch at home if I know I'm going to go into deep waters, although there are people who won't hesitate to take it there as it's apparently more robust than its IPX7 water resistant rating. Otherwise, it stays on my wrist as it's waterproof to at least 1 meter for 30 min.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2014
That's why I stick to my golden rule and leave the watch at home if I know I'm going to go into deep waters, although there are people who won't hesitate to take it there as it's apparently more robust than its IPX7 water resistant rating. Otherwise, it stays on my wrist as it's waterproof to at least 1 meter for 30 min.
I honestly don't know why you're so against AppleCare.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Sorry OP, but i'm not quite sure if you called your wife clumsy enough times, you may need to say it at least once more so we fully understand.

With that out of the way, in reality it's called an accident. Good that you have applecare.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
How do you drop a watch. It never leaves my wrist except when I go to bed or I'm changing bands, and when that's happening it is sitting on top of something where it can't fall off.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2015
Doesn't have to be dropped. The charging cable could be snagged and pull the watch onto the tile floor.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Doesn't have to be dropped. The charging cable could be snagged and pull the watch onto the tile floor.

That and who hasn't accidentally hit their arm into something or have someone bump into you and into something. Hit just the right way on the corner of the watch face and against the wrong thing and it's gonna crack or shatter. Just the nature of sapphire.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFC and Skoal

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
View attachment 562951 Been there, done that (thanks to an improperly recommended leather loop band which has since been returned for refund)

Band kept coming unattached which allowed watch to drop off wrist. This happened the one time I didn't catch it as it fell

View attachment 562950
The band was defective? I'm guessing the locking mechanism? To be honest that is the only aspect of the physical makeup of the watch that has me worried over the long term. The actual part that catches the watch inside the grove is so small and for people who change band regularly, has me wondering if it will eventually wear with being obvious and lead to a dropped\lost watch.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Do you never knock your wrist into anything? I assume you don't do much house worn etc? My cover has saved my watch already I am sure and I have Apple Care + as well. I'm not naive enough to believe that wearing my watch will keep it safe. Live is to precious to have to be so careful with a watch.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I honestly find it hard to "drop" a watch and I own several other watches, never happened. You just need to be very cautious when you remove your watch (like place your wrist over a table or so) and in most cases it won't happen. Of course there are exceptions or particular cases where people can drop the watch but it's a very low percentage.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Anything you wear, especially on your wrist is going to take wear and tear. This AC+ has become almost a religious thing for some here. Each needs to make their own choices. I would much rather get apple to handle their AC+ warranty repairs than get my credit card company handle. I did that once and it was a pain in the butt.

I do not usually believe in these warranties and never have bought them. Saved hundreds maybe thousands of dollars but I simple felt it was a good idea for the watch. It was cheap in my opinion and well worth the peace of mind.

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN