Clunking sound from Macbook Pro HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeremynsl, Jan 6, 2008.

1. jeremynsl macrumors newbie

Hi,

Last month I bought my first Mac - a refurbished Macbook Pro 2.2 from the Apple.ca store.

About 1 week after I purchased it, I noticed a frequent 'clunking' sound came from the HDD. I figured it was just the drive parking or somesuch. But it continued, every 30-180 sec - even when no programs are running. Such as at the login screen. It sounds like a normal seeking sound, then a clunk like the HDD is shutting down.

This all points to a dying HDD I would think. I called Apple support about it since the MBP is obviously still under warranty. They were sympathetic, but said they couldn't do anything for me since they can't verify the noise over the phone. They suggested I bring it to a local Mac dealer.

I've done that, and I'm on the Mac dealer's waiting list now - which could take several weeks. But I have my worries about this - will I be charged for this? IMO I shouldn't have to pay a cent for this failing hard drive whatsoever. I'm disappointed that Apple just wouldn't let me send the thing back since I've JUST purchased this... Would I be lying about this noise?

So I'm a bit confused as to what to do next and would like some advice - perhaps from others who have had HDD problems with a MBP. Thanks,

Jeremy

2. BugHunter macrumors member

Clicking HD

I wouldn't worry about being charged, I'm pretty sure they can't charge you anything unless you have agreed to it, (while Apple may not have the best service when things go wrong, I've never heard of them suprise charging when somebody puts their product in under warranty).

That being said, my HD clicks every 20 seconds or so, and from what I researched it's not actually going to cause problems (I've had it for 6 months now).
    It used to drive me crazy, now it's background noise.

(So just warning you that they might opt not to fix :( ).

3. jeremynsl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm also afraid they will choose not to repair it. I've owned quite a few PCs over the years, and a hard drive making unusual noises is almost always a sign of failure (yes, this is a Mac not a PC - but it just uses off the shelf SATA drives...)

Its a problem because I need this laptop for work and I'm not sure I can trust it with my work data...

I guess I'll just have to see what they say at the dealers.

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Is it an actual clunking sound or is it a slight clicking sound. If its just some soft clicking, don't worry about it. Thats how it's supposed to sound. Otherwise, be afraid. Applecare is bad about not replacing things that they should for free.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

try this:
    System Preferences > Energy Saver > Sleep > uncheck Put the Hard Disks to sleep whenever possible.

It might or might not work. Its worth a shot.

6. jeremynsl thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not a click... Definitely a different sound than I've ever heard a HDD make.

And I've already tried that option in Energy Saver. Thanks though.

7. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

Do you have any information on the S.M.A.R.T. status of the HD? S.M.A.R.T. won't catch everything, but it may warn you of a problem.

Make sure any important information is backed up.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Up until a couple of weeks ago i had one of those seagate revision 7.01
    drives it had been clicking away for well over a year but never let me down
    2.5 mm are portable drives the clicking noise are the head's docking so things
    dont f**k up.

9. one1 macrumors 65816

I'd be more peeved about spending all that money and having to wait weeks for help, than the thought of a service charge. Priority wise anyway, THEN I'd be peeved about a service charge after a long month wait for help on a new purchase.

10. jeremynsl thread starter macrumors newbie

Either way I'm peeved I can't start using this MBP for work. I'm too paranoid about losing my work (which is multi-gigabyte audio and thus not easy to backup daily)

About the SMART status of the drive. I'm not sure about that but I've run the special diagnostic off the Leopard disk (reboot with 'D' held down), and it didn't find any problems with the HDD. Neither did Disk Utility.

11. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

If your work is that important, invest in an external hard-drive with a fast connection like Firewire 800 or eSATA (you'll have to have an eSATA expresscard for the latter option) so you can back up your work.

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I highly doubt that they will charge you for the repair, unless you have done anything to void the warranty.

13. Andras5soul macrumors member

No matter what you decide to do, back everything up immediately if you haven't already. This happened to my girlfriend's black macbook, first clunking sound then the blue folder questionmark screen at startup. If the harddrive makes any unusual sounds, it is highly at risk of becoming inaccessible/broken. Back everything up then take to apple store.