Clutch Cover on cMBP Mid-2012 Loose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jahall05, Feb 11, 2015.

1. jahall05 macrumors regular

Hey guys

I have never owned a MacBook before this, but I have a Mid-2012 cMBP that I bought new a little over a year ago. I opted to also get the 3 year AppleCare coverage upon purchase. I have like 566 days left on the laptop.

I noticed today that when my MBP is closed I can move that "clutch" cover back and forth. When the laptop is open is stays in place and doesn't move at all. Is this normal? Reason being is I don't know if it is or not because I never really paid attention to it.

If this is not normal I will bring it into an Apple Store tomorrow. Can they replace this piece in store? I read somewhere they had to replace the entire display, but I see you can buy the clutch cover separately so I am hoping they don't need to do that...I have some custom vinyl stickers on the back of my screen I don't want to lose ;)

Thanks!

2. jahall05 thread starter macrumors regular

Well...

Took it to Apple and the genius bar said they would replace the clutch cover, but it would take 48 hours and he said he wasn't sure it would actually fix the issue. He said over time they move and as long as it isn't affecting the way the hinge is working he wouldn't worry.

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Please define "clutch cover". I'll gladly check in mine. Though I'm pretty sure that nothing is moving on mine.