Clutch question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Dec 14, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I should know this but I dont

Why is it that my clutch seems to stick when its cold? For instance, its like -7 deg F here and my clutch seems to expereices a sludgy feeling both engaging and disengaging

It's a new clutch and just the other day when it was like 50 deg, it worked like a champ, very fluid

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well remember you clutch is hydrolic so the fluid is cold. On cold days I notices both my clutch is sluggish and my power steering does not work as well until everything warms up a little.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well all the lubricants and fluids involved probably aren't too liquid at super low temperatures...I know that when it gets below 0ºF I have to be careful shifting into 3rd gear in my car first thing in the morning because it doesn't like to engage.

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Extreme cold (below 20F and -7C) will affect a hydraulic clutch causing sluggish behavior, and if problems do not persist at normal operating temperature (engine temp 200F/95C for 10 minutes) everything is probably fine. But not all clutches are hydraulic, many vehicles including popular late model Fords have a mechanical linkage clutch still. Stickiness can often be caused by a weak pressure plate, binding in the linkage, and improper adjustment.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Let your car warm up before you drive it. my integra does this in the mornings....well it did....it hasn't ran for 4 months (dam timing belts :mad:)

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have and it still experiences this even after driving a while. must take quite a while for it to warm up to stop this.

right now, the air temp is -15 deg F. brrrrrr

8. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

9. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Yeah if you by any chance have a 99 Forester, we had a clutch issue when it was cold or wet out. The clutch would shutter when engaging, only in first, and would eventually go away. It was a known issue across the subaru lineup for that year, maybe even a few more years.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is why, the fluid probably can't warm up fast enough. How far/long would you drive before it does start to loosen? I drive 14 miles to work but that can take 15 minutes or 45 minutes (sometimes longer thank you 405). In 15 minutes I am halfway to work before my heater really starts to bake the **** out of me. So if you don't drive far/long then it probably never really warms up. Anyway to pump it before you start it to sort of get it going? I did that in my jeep often in the winter because it was so hard to push.

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Wow, I'm a total girl, I was reading this thread and wondering why a guy was carrying a purse. *exits*

12. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

lmfao funniest thing I've heard all day.

13. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Clutch, not Coach :p

I'm not sure how long it would take to warm up. Being so cold probably 10-15 minutes. What car is it?

14. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Coach is a brand, clutch is a style. Without straps, I think.

15. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Yup. No straps so you have to clutch onto it.

16. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

1990 celica

new clutch installed 3 months ago

17. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Sounds like completely normal operation. Automatic transmissions do the same thing to a lesser degree :)rolleyes:).

Take it slow. If gears are hard to engage, double-clutch until it warms up.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The OP is in colorado and I am also. As he knows, it's been extremely cold here the past three days. Sunday night the low temp was -19 and the high was about 0.

That is insane record cold for our city. I have a new car that was making some weird noises on that day as anything will when starting in those cold temps. It's all normal. Lots of peoples cars didn't even start up that morning.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's cute :)

I wonder if there's one bloke who didn't think this thread would be about cars.... please, stand up!

20. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Hydraulic- Fluid thickens in cold weather

Cable- The cable can actually freeze/stick

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'd hope not...

22. iAthena macrumors regular

Definitely due to the hydraulic action of the clutch. Cars haven't had fully mechanical linkages for years.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You may want to check and see if there are any air bubbles in the clutch line, or perhaps dirty fluid. Do you know if they changed it out when you had the clutch replaced?

Generally, you should only let it sit for no more than a minute, than drive it like a granny until the oil comes up to temperature, which is usually a few minutes after your coolant temp reaches its normal range.

I'm not sure what you can do to warm up clutch fluid, aside from having the engine warm it indirectly.

24. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea i had it flushed as well

i will say things are back to being smooth clutch wise with temps in the 20's today

must have been the extreme cold that did it

25. iGav macrumors G3

Cane it like you're Ari Vatanen of course.