Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaReaLDeviL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
Germany
Hello Folks,

I can't find the information that I'm looking for. Does the cMacPro can use the dual gpu setup with the new Metal API for Games?

This would be perfect and I can finally delete Windows 10 (bootcamp). I already read that Blizzard is one the way to release their games like WOW and Starcraft with Metal until mid next year.

Any one got some informations?

Greetings

Rolf

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hello Folks,

I can't find the information that I'm looking for. Does the cMacPro can use the dual gpu setup with the new Metal API for Games?

This would be perfect and I can finally delete Windows 10 (bootcamp). I already read that Blizzard is one the way to release their games like WOW and Starcraft with Metal until mid next year.

Greetings

Rolf

Blizzard says Metal is buggy, needs a lot of work, and doesn't have as many features as DX12.

Apple doesn't ship any dual GPU Macs any longer and Metal doesn't currently support processing across multiple vendor GPUs.

Deleting Bootcamp is the last thing you should do if you like gaming.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I thought the Mac Pros have dual GPUs?

F
Ah I keep forgetting about those workstations released in 2013 ;) those are the only ones shipping.

But funnily enough El Capitan now supports up to three Nvidia GPUs in one system. This was discovered by accident and is undocumented, so it may just be incidental and unintended.

electonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
Hello Folks,

Greetings

Rolf

It is not the Machine that supports Dual GPU, but the OS.
So if you put two AMD Cards that are supported by Mac OS and the Dual GPU framework in a classic Mac Pro, Mac OS will switch on the support. (I think that may for with NVIDIA as well, but I can't confirm that).

Because of the power available in the cMac Pro your choices are limited.
If you want to have two GPU you you can only take GPUs that use 1x6-PIN Power cables, because you only have 2x6-PIN power for GPU in the Mac Pro.
Of course, you could also use an external additional Power Supplies just for the GPUs. That is what some people actually do to run 2 NVIDIA Titans for example ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.