cMBP 13 RAM not working... 3 beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krwright11, Nov 8, 2012.

1. krwright11 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I recently bought a cMBP 13, base model with the i5 processor and 4 gigs of ram. Last night I installed a Samsung 830 SSD (which is awesome) and also bought a pack of 2x8gb sticks of patriot memory, this model, specifically:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220671

I installed it many times over, making sure the ram was properly seated, but each time I turned my computer back on I got the 3 beeps saying that it could not recognize my ram. As far as I know the memory is compatible with my computer, however it does say that it is only compatible with Intel 2000 series cpu, which I'm not sure about.
    Does anybody have any clue as to why this RAM will not register??

Thanks

Model is Mid 2012 by the way

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Try re-installing the stock RAM. If that works, you have your answer and you'll need to exchange the RAM you bought for a different brand.

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

!

Exactly the reason I bought mine from OWC!

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-
    Buy only compatible RAM! All info about Intel-compatible RAM:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15346078#post15346078
    -\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-

:)

----------

OWC is no guarantee and not available worldwide.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

OWC is too expensive for what you get. I'd suggest Crucial, Corsair or g.skill. Read through the reviews on newegg and look for other Mac owners to verify that it'll work on your computer.

6. calvol macrumors 6502a

I believe 3 beeps is memory failure. Check your RAM.

7. bobcan, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

That should be compatible RAM..

That should be compatible RAM, although maybe a 'L' Low Voltage style for 1.35v would be more approprite.. and I am fairly sure CORSAIR is a reputable manufacturer..

This is likely the Crucial specified ~ from the info I know about your computer, 2012 assume 2.5 GHz i5 ~

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=3D32ED07A5CA7304

I had some 'RAM issues' with my 2011 MBP i7 and during my diagnosis I found it was quite possible to run with ONE stick only to find out if a specific stick was bad.. and/ or you could put one Old and one New as well..

Eventually I found the Bank 1 itself was BAD (no matter which of the 4 Sticks I put in there it would eventually '3 Beep me' as well) and accordingly it meant I needed a new Logic Board ~ Thank you Applecare!! :apple:

I was swapping 2GB and 8GB sticks as well after having had the 16GB Kit in for 6 months.. I ran the computer with just ONE 8GB stick for a day until I got conformation from Apple to get it sent in.. Worked as well as I could expect I suppose, got me by for a day or two..

I hope this makes sense and may help.. Good Luck!!

8. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Get what u pay for. If to expensive was an issues, I would be on a PC and not a Mac.

It was an extra $22 for 16G, so $11 more per 8G Module. Well worth it with LIFETIME Guarantee.

Spend more than that at Starbucks in a week, so Ram is more important to me than the extra cost.

APple is what is expensive $200 to and an additional 8 G on rMBP, so 16 would be $400

Saw some really nice ASUS Ivy Bridge with SSD for way less than the MBP.

9. HKSSS macrumors member

Not necessary. I bought Kingston RAM without the Mac verified and it works perfectly on my 2011MBP. I like Apple because of the UI and simplicity but that doesn't mean i have to pay more for everything. If your logic is right then everyone should just buy RAM and SSD from Apple rather than aftermarket.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

All three brands I listed offer a lifetime warranty on their RAM as well. The G.SKILL stuff actually has a lower CAS latency than the OWC memory so along with being less expensive, it's faster as well.

What I don't suggest is buying no name stuff. I keep hearing people suggest komputerbay memory, I'd stay away from that.