cMBP(2012) Superdrive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HURRICANE63, Jan 25, 2013.

1. HURRICANE63 macrumors newbie

Hi.

I wonder if anyone has been down this route?

After a lot of faffing around with retina MBPs I finally ordered a cMBP (2.6/8/750 HDD) which I intend to beef-up to 2.6/16/512 SSD + 750 HDD (swapping the internal superdrive for the HDD).

Does anyone know if the USB Superdrive that is meant for the rMBP would work for this config? (I am aware that under normal circumstances it would not (the drive is designed for Macs without internal super drives). I already have one you see (which I bought when I had the retina) and thought that the process of removing the internal DVD might allow the external DVD to work.

Thanks.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Might be possible though I can't speak from experience (perhaps others can):

Use the MacBook Air SuperDrive with (almost) any Mac

3. Ploki macrumors 68010

You can get extra-cheap enclosures for ODD on ebay, 5-10$. Most of the caddies already have the extra enclosure with it. Why spend 80$ on it?

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Why spend $5-$10 (on eBay, no less) when the OP already has a SuperDrive (see below)?

If it can be made to work without much hassle and at essentially no cost, might as well give it a shot.

5. Ploki macrumors 68010

6. HURRICANE63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yes, indeed why wouldn't it work? You would have thought so wouldn't you. Apparently it's only compatible with Air/Retinas/Minis w/o DVD. Although the link above did suggest that a bit of terminal tweaking was possible to get things going - thanks for that. I wonder why it's not just plug 'n' play? But this is Apple we are dealing with here so won't even attempt a guess at the logic behind it (other than the Bottom Line).

I did see caddy kits that also include the external drive enclosure, so if it doesn't work then I do of course have the drive I've taken out. But as I said, I have the Apple one anyway, it's neat and light and well-made (although I'm not sure it's £65-well-made ands another 12 inches on the USB cable would be good).

Whichever way I look at it - I'm going to have a bit left over.

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I thought OWC made one, in fact I was looking to buy their Data Doubler and move my SDrive into their enclosure for the few times a year I will use it.

check macsales.com

I think they have one.

8. HURRICANE63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I saw that - it looks like a simple and elegant solution.

BTW - does anyone know how this sort of thing affects the Apple warranty?