Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Very recently bought a new 2012 cMBP 13" (the upgraded model) and the display is not that impressive. Not in terms of resolution, I'm perfectly fine with that. The problem is that the display is very pale and low contrast. I have to fiddle with the angle of the screen to maximize the readability. For instance, dialog box borders are not very well defined and everything looks washed out.

This reminds me of a friends Lenovo that you have to lean waaay back to see the screen right. The MBP is not quite that bad, but still worse that my wife's white 2009 MB. When I sit the two laptops side by side, the MB screen is not as bright as the MBP, but it is more readable and the viewing angle seems a little better.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomena or am I imagining things? I tried bumping up the contrast one notch in the 'accessibility' section of settings but that didn't help. It actually made the problem worse.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Yes, it sounds like you've got a weird color profile selected. Try those listed under "Displays".

The default LCD should be selected out of the box. Perhaps this got changed somehow.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
You definitely need to calibrate the monitor. When you do, make sure to select the advanced settings. Every Apple display I've ever used has required calibration out of the box, except for the ATD, which comes with a calibrated profile that I had a hard time improving on.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
I know what you mean. Actually it is not a bad thing, the display is 'color accurate' or something like that, but not enjoyable. like studio monitor speakers...

I create a profile with a much higher gamma value, so it looks nice to me for programming and text work. pictures of people look like crap tough, when working with images I revert to a '9cc5' profile I downloaded from the net.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.