cMBP Hinge is creaking on the left side?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pedroisnot, Nov 29, 2014.

1. pedroisnot macrumors newbie

I bought this computer, my first ever mac, and I'm in love, OS x is wonderful.
    But today while cleaning my MBP i noticed that one side creaks, the left to be precise, but the right does not.

Should i go down to best-buy and return it before the 14 day return policy?
    Is this normal?
    Should it be replaced?
    I don't have any experience with macs apart from an old powermac g4 quicksilver, so I'm not sure if all of them are like that. My father says it looks like the gap is bigger on one side of the display than the other when it is closed.

Has anyone experienced this?

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Yes sometimes this stuff happens. You can fix it by tightening the screws that hold the hinge but since it's inside the 14 days return policy, it might be best to replace the whole computer!

Also it could be the screws that hold the bottom plate. One might be loose. Use a philips screw driver and tighten all of them and see if it still makes the creaking noise.

3. pedroisnot thread starter macrumors newbie

Wanted to ask something. So I went to the bestbuy store where I bought it and asked for an exchange and described the issue. They said all of them would do that but they would gladly exchange if I felt it was needed, so I asked for the exchange.

And all is well, but when I get home I pick up the machine and immediately notice it is misaligned, as in the machine lid is not flush with the body. What should I do? The store said they didn't have to exchange it the first time but they were being nice. Should I contact apple? The last one was flush and perfect, except for that creaky hinge, but this one is crooked

4. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

yes if the lid is not aligned, check with bestbuy and see if they will replace again. If they don't take it to apply and explain them the situation. They should replace the laptop.

5. seeforyourself macrumors regular

Mine was creaking too then I noticed the hinge was off alignment (crammed on left side) then the hinge cracked on that side.

Get it replaced!

6. pedroisnot thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll see what best buy will do What I'm worried about is they don't say how many exchanges they will do. I might just return it and buy from bhphoto. Should i call apple first, or see if best buy will replace it?

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The creaking is normally caused by the black plastic cover being non-central. It can slide up and down slightly. Moving it a little will normally stop the creaking.

If you're happy with the machine other than the display not being aligned, take it to an apple store - they will be able to align the display - it's a 5 minute job. The display is fully adjustable - it's a case of removing the bottom case, loosening the 6 display screws, straightening the display, then tightening them again.

There is no need to return a machine because of that.

8. pedroisnot thread starter macrumors newbie

The closest apple store is 4 hours away, so can best buy do it?

This is my first Laptop and i wasn't expecting these problems, especially from a mac

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I wouldn't trust best buy to open a packet of chips, let alone a MacBook!

10. pedroisnot thread starter macrumors newbie

Then a return is the best option?
    I know the apple store would be the best, since two of my teachers have told me that is the set and they can do it in like ten minutes

According to best buy's holiday return policy i can still return it though, and bestbuy is local.

Living in a rural area sucks for these reasons :/

"Purchases made between Nov.1 – Dec. 31, 2014 have an extended return period through January 15, 2015, excluding items purchased with a third-party contract (ex. Mobile Phone carrier contracts, DirecTV, etc.) and Geek Squad Protection service plans. All other terms and conditions of our Return & Exchange Promise apply."