cMBP Mid-2012 SSD Install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerBook-G5, Jul 9, 2014.

1. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I am planning on buying This SSD for my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro and need some help. I would like to put all of my files on this new drive WITHOUT using a program such as Carbon Copy Cloner, etc. Correct me if I am wrong but is this the procedure that I can follow to have all settings, programs, etc the same on the SSD as on the HDD?

1) Backup files with Time Machine
    2) Remove HDD, Install SSD
    3) Boot from a Mavericks install usb to format the SSD, then install Mavericks
    4) During setup, transfer files from Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Everything looks good, but this step isn't necessary:

You can just use internet recovery, unless of course, you have a good reason to use the USB installer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

4. PowerBook-G5 thread starter macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I already have a Mavericks install usb and it'll probably be faster to install from that than downloading the whole OS again.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can skip #3 and #4 and just restore the entire OS along with all your data directly from the TM backup disk. There is a recovery partition on the TM disk that will allow you to do this. After the new drive is installed, option key boot to the TM disk and you will get a recovery screen. From there start Disk Util and erase the new disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore and wait for it to finish.